Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Connecting to Alexa with VMB4500r2 base station and Arlo Pro2 cameras

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
Roger-R
Aspirant
Aspirant

Ok, I hope I am not just wasting electrons typing this because I have researched connecting Arlo to Alexa and what I have read about it has not been pretty to say the least.  My setup is the VMB4500r2 base station with Pro2 cameras. Like I said, I researched this and the only information I found as far as "how to" install/setup Arlo with Alexa was, install/enable the skill, link your account and have it discover your devices.  Well, I have installed the Arlo skill and linked it to my account successfully but, when Alexa searches for devices it finds nothing.  Looking for info on this I have found some very disappointing posts and reviews on this particular skill from Arlo and, from what I have seen,  that the company has had little to no resonse.  Having said that, I like the system and the Arlo app itself and have had very few issues.  But, I am putting this out there in hopes of getting some kind of response/help with the problem I am having using the Arlo skill to connect to Alexa.   Thank you for any input you could give. 

6 REPLIES 6
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Just make sure the Arlo is accessed via one of the supporting Alexa devices

I run Alexa with the fire stick ( gen 2 ) .... cameras are visible off of a 4000 base with 10 pro/pro2 cameras and an Ultra base with 2 cams

issues I’ve come across is you can’t label camera by numbers but need names ( cam1 and cam2 couldn’t be found till named like front , back ) 

also , the cams are good for live viewing...wasn’t able to arm/disarm cameras

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
Roger-R
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply. I have both the Echo Show 10 and an Echo Show 5 and from what I can tell the Echo Show should  work with Arlo.  I have searched through both the community and support and the only posts I see are ones from people who were able to connect and discover their devices but are having problems beyond that. Like I said, I was able to install the skill and link it to my Arlo account but when I try to discover devices through either the smart phone app or by asking Alexa through the Echo Show itself, it does not find any devices (I have Pro 2 cameras). I did see on the under the description on the smart phone app that it lists the model numbers of the Pro 2 cameras that work with Alexa but I can not find the model numbers for what I have. I have looked on the Arlo app itself but it only shows the installed firmware version and hardware is H6 whatever that means. That's were I am stuck so any help or suggestions you could give would be greatly appreciated.  Again, thanks.  

Roger-R
Aspirant
Aspirant

One question, do you have to have a subscription with Arlo in order for Alexa to work with your Arlo devices?  

Thanks.... 

Roger-R
Aspirant
Aspirant

@TomMac Non-related question. I can't quite make out your profile picture. I can make out what I think says Yamaha but that's it. May I ask what you ride?  I have a 2010  Yamaha Raider. Bought it new in '10 and haven't looked back since. 

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

It’s an ST1300. Honda sport tourer

as to subscription, don’t believe so

Morse is faster than texting!
Roger-R
Aspirant
Aspirant

Ok, I'm not sure how or why but, it's working now! The only thing I did was to unlink and relink my Arlo account under the Alexa skill. I even ask Alexa to discover any new devices afterwards but it came back with nothing.  I guess it did it automatically somehow in the meantime.  The really hilarious part is tonight my 4 year old granddaughter was over and ask Alexa something about dinosaurs and somehow Alexa thought she asked to show the shop camera because I turned around and, voila, my shop camera was on the screen.  Crap, I've worked in IT for over 30 years and a 4 year old has to show me how to work this new fangled technology stuff . How embarrassing. Man do I feel old now.     

As far as the bike,  looks very nice.  I have been thinking about getting more of a tour bike like a Gold Wing, BMW or something along the lines of what you have but I am not sure if I really want to sink the money into it.  

Thanks again for the help.