Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arm/Disarm cameras with your alarm system

Discussion stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 1 Like
  • 2 In Conversation
bpchristensen
Follower
Follower

After a few hours of fiddling around, I think I found a good, fairly simple way to arm/disarm the cameras when the home alarm system is armed/disarmed.  I currently have a Honeywell Lyric panel, which supports Z-wave and Homekit, but not IFTTT.  The Arlo system supports IFTTT, but not Z-wave or Homekit.   So as a work-around (a lot less cumbersome than trying to use a server running Homebridge) I took advantage of the emails that the alarm system can generate when the system is armed/disarmed.  This may work for other alarm systems, so I figured I'd post step-by-step instructions here:

1. Create a new Gmail account that will be used for IFTTT integration only

2. Set up an IFTTT account and link it to that Gmail account as well as your Arlo system

3. Go into your alarm system and set up an account (either an existing or a new "fake" account) that uses the IFTTT gmail address for notifications.

4. Set up a notification rule in your alarm system that will send an email for both the "arm" and "disarm" events

5. Review those emails to see who they come from and what the subject is.

6. Go into the IFTTT gmail account and set up two filter rules using the sample emails in #5.  Set up one called "Armed" and one called "Disarmed"

7. Now go into IFTTT and build a recipe starting with the Gmail service you linked in step #2.  As the trigger, look for the label "Armed"

8. As the action, use the Arlo service and the action "Arm"

9. Repeat steps 7 & 8 for "Disarmed"

10. Save the recipe and activate it (you can toggle the IFTTT notification on if you're building the recipe from a mobile device

Voila, you now have an IFTTT recipe that will arm/disarm your cameras when you arm/disarm the 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

bpchristensen,

Thanks for sharing your experience with the community!

JamesC

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

bpchristensen,

Thanks for sharing your experience with the community!

JamesC