Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Some customers in Australia and New Zealand regions may be experiencing problems with live streaming and motion recordings not saved to library. We are working to resolve this issue, please see status.arlo.com for the latest information.

Arlo needs to stop saying you dont need a plan

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
Arlouser051923
Aspirant
Aspirant

Arlo needs to stop saying you dont need a plan. I am very tech savy but there is only so much you can do when the product is juts junk. I spent 2 days trying to use these locally without a plan. Yes it's "possible". How often does it work? Almost never.

I heard really bad things about this company and I ignored them. They are all 100%. 

Mostly just lying and purposely crippling equipment so a plan is required. I am so mad, it just sped $850 now I have to probably have to eat  most of that and sell online.  Just seem like fraud to be marketing this product as such.

7 REPLIES 7
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The use of a VMB4500 may be part of your issue. The 4540 and 5000 SmartHubs allow direct access to the local recordings while the 4000 and 4500 require that you eject the drive for viewing on a computer.

Are you saying that you don't get some/most/any recordings? Be aware that only motion/audio detection recordings are stored, not snapshots or manual recordings. More info may help get you going.

BTW, Arlo specifically says local recordings are for backup purposes. That means the lack of a subscription leads to a whole different usage compared to cloud recordings.

Arlouser051923
Aspirant
Aspirant

BTW. Alo sales people DO NOT tell people local storage is for backup. That is a bold face lie. 

I have 3 worthless hubs now. 
2x 4540 and 1x 5000. They are paper weights now. 

I can’t tell you how disappointed I am. 

It would be one thing to not ask the manufacturer about these capabilities but I did and you were not honest. Now I have out over $1k. 

Then you  try and say what equipment I have and make up more stories. 

you system is not anywhere near as good as the competitors the only benefit you had going for you is that it was HomeKit with a new plan local storage now you have neither of those. 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Arlouser051923 wrote:

2x 4540 and 1x 5000. 

All these do support direct access to local storage.  Did you try to set that up and fail?  If so, can you give more details on what happened?

Arlouser051923
Aspirant
Aspirant

I realize that after spending four days with Support, y’all just completely cripple the system and we are in allowed to use third-party storage. Get your market these as being able to have local storage that’s totally false advertising.

it works but barely. And that is that on purpose clearly.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Arlouser051923 wrote:

... y’all ...

Not me.  This is a user-to-user forum - I don't work for Arlo, or represent them in any way.  FWIW, neither does @jguerdat.

That said, we can often help when support doesn't.  If you want help, then give us more details on what went wrong.  If you just want a platform to complain, then of course no need. 

Arlouser051923
Aspirant
Aspirant

I got it working Guru. It’s just purposely crippled. Total bait and switch. They should have a class action.