Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 23 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 9 In Conversation
sjlamine
Aspirant
Aspirant

Running Smartthings and Arlo app on Android. Firmware for base station is 1.15.1_3092_d878851. Pro 2 cameras show up as Smartthings devices but not the base station Siren.  Would prefer to sound the siren based on a door sensor or window sensor. If Smartthings cannot see it as a device then it is not that useful to me. Is the siren not showing up in Smartthings the normal situation?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

We’re excited to announce Samsung SmartThings integration now includes the latest Arlo Security Products!

With Samsung SmartThings, you can integrate a supported Arlo device into the SmartThings app, so all of your smart devices can work together.

SmartThings supported Arlo devices:

• Arlo Ultra series
• Arlo Baby
• Arlo Q/Q+
• Arlo Essential series
• Arlo Video Doorbell
• Arlo Security Light
• Arlo Base station

For more information on how to set up Samsung SmartThings integration and it’s features, take a look here: How do I integrate my Arlo cameras into the Samsung SmartThings app? 

View solution in original post

23 REPLIES 23
sjlamine
Aspirant
Aspirant

I was told by Arlo Support that this base station (VMB4500) siren does not show up in SmartThings as a device.  Based on posts I have seen about the previous base station (VMB4000) that siren does show up in SmartThings as a device.  I would hope this is an oversight and will be corrected. I would rather my base station be fired from a door opening anywhere in my house rather than waiting for motion to be detected on my camera.  Hoping for a reply from someone from Arlo as to why not.

JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

Hey sjlamine,

Try checking to see if you have the latest firmware version for your Base Station (VMB4500), which is version 1.15.0.1_3092_d878851. You can read more about the latest firmware version here: Arlo Base Station VMB4500 - 1.15.0.1_3092_d878851 - 2nd January 2020

sjlamine
Aspirant
Aspirant

Yes, my original post states that is the firmware that I have installed. Can someone tell me why this base station does not show up in smartthings?  Was that intentional? Why would you have the VMB4000 show up in Smartthings and not the supposed newer release of the base station. Here is why it does not make sense.

Suppose someone breaks into my house through the front door or the basement, wouldn't it make sense for me to fire the siren from a door sensor vs waiting for the motion detector on my camera to pick up the intruder when they get up to my family room.  By that time the intruder will have cleaned out my basement and everything in my upstairs. If he never walks into my family room no siren.

JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

We've raised this issue to the development team and will provide an update when we have more information.

Beckmn
Aspirant
Aspirant
Hi, I got my vmb4500 to record with the IFTTT app now. When I turn a ikea smart plug on, arlo start to record. I had to make sure the arlo basstation was in smartthings mode. When I turn the light on in smartthings arlo start to record now.
sjlamine
Aspirant
Aspirant

Any update from the development team on why the Siren for VMB4500 does not show up as a device in Smartthings?

JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

Hey sjlamine,

Do you have a screenshot that shows VMB4500 is not showing up as a siren in Samsung SmartThings?

sjlamine
Aspirant
Aspirant
Attached is the screenshot
ArloUser001
Aspirant
Aspirant

I created an account just to comment on this same issue. I have the same base station and cannot control the siren. I've been waiting for this functionality since I've purchased this device. The solved thread below does not help with the current user interfaces of either devices. Please add this and make everyone happy!

https://community.arlo.com/t5/Arlo-Pro/Trigger-Arlo-Pro-Siren-when-Smartthings-sensor-is-opened/td-p...

Hest101
Tutor
Tutor
I too am having the same issue. The siren/base station do not show up in Smartthings app, only cameras. Also, the Smartthings mode does not appear in my Arlo app. Is there a solution for this yet? Using the siren with Smartthings was the sole reason I chose Arlo.
Hest101
Tutor
Tutor
Hello, The siren/base station (VMB4500) do not show up in Smartthings app, only cameras. Also, the Smartthings mode does not appear in my Arlo app. Is there a solution for this? Using the siren with Smartthings was the sole reason I chose Arlo.

If not possible with VMB4500, can I swap the VMB4500 for VMB4000 under warranty?
sjlamine
Aspirant
Aspirant

It has been almost 5 months since I have originally posted this. Still without a sufficient reply to my original question. I see that other people are also experiencing the same issue. My siren remains unused, it's only purpose is as the base station. Not a happy customer.

ArloUser001
Aspirant
Aspirant
Agreed, this thread needs to be bumped so the developers at Arlo fix this. It’s a basic function that seems to have existed previously but dropped off. It would really change Arlo from an ok product to a good product.
Hest101
Tutor
Tutor
Thanks for your responses. I really hope Arlo fixes this. Though, if it's been 5 months I won't hold my breath. Shame really because other than this issue, it's a good system.

Hopefully the Arlo rep sees these comments and bumps it to the development team.

Out of curiosity, do you guys have a Smartthings mode show up in the Arlo app?
AF20
Aspirant
Aspirant
I bought Arlo over other camera systems for the siren feature, it also isn’t working for me.
Hest101
Tutor
Tutor
Hey Arlo,

Any updates on this yet? I'm about to return my product for a refund if you can't fix something as simple as this.

Thanks
JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

Our development team is still looking into this. We'll provide any updates when we hear any new information. We appreciate everyone's patience about this.

Hest101
Tutor
Tutor
Hello, thanks for your response.

A friend of mine has the VMB4000 that he kindly let me borrow and it works great. When linked to SmartThings a new "SmartThings" mode appears in the Arlo app and the siren shows in the SmartThings app. Unfortunately, when I connect my VBM4500, this is not the case. A SmartThings mode does not appear in the Arlo app and the siren does not display in the SmartThings app.

I hope this helps.
Mdavenport13
Aspirant
Aspirant
Same here. Will this ever be fixed? Its been 8 months and no solution. Please update us so we can use the siren like we are supposed to be able to do.
k_t_p
Aspirant
Aspirant

The Arlo Pro 2 base station VMB4500 siren is not recognized by either Alexa or SmartThings. The base station has firmware version 1.16.3.2_3459_6cd3d19, the newest available to me currently. The siren device is never found when searching for devices in either Alexa or SmartThings. I saw that there was a similar issue with SmartThings not detecting the base station at all and not working correctly but everything in my setup is working except the siren. The siren can not be found in Alexa or SmartThings so I can't really use it, which really infuriates me because that is one reason why I bought this system, the integrations with my smart home. I have changed the siren name to be different than the base station, I have reset the station, disabled and re-enabled the integrations, and nothing changes. I am pretty sure that the integration for this base station are somehow missing the siren implementation. Is this going to be fixed? I would like to use the siren. I would have loved to have bought a newer camera system but your integrations are extremely terrible past the pro 2....

Barsar
Aspirant
Aspirant
I expected to be able to trigger the siren from smartthings. What other information are you waiting for?
Barsar
Aspirant
Aspirant
3 months have passed since your last post. Please can you provide an update.
JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

We’re excited to announce Samsung SmartThings integration now includes the latest Arlo Security Products!

With Samsung SmartThings, you can integrate a supported Arlo device into the SmartThings app, so all of your smart devices can work together.

SmartThings supported Arlo devices:

• Arlo Ultra series
• Arlo Baby
• Arlo Q/Q+
• Arlo Essential series
• Arlo Video Doorbell
• Arlo Security Light
• Arlo Base station

For more information on how to set up Samsung SmartThings integration and it’s features, take a look here: How do I integrate my Arlo cameras into the Samsung SmartThings app?