Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 19 Replies
  • 35 Likes
  • 14 In Conversation
HugoKr
Guide
Guide

Arlo support?

Are there any plans to provide better support with Apple Home?

Buying top of the line at the highest cost comes with expectation of not getting left behind when the world moves on.

Having good equipment in place and missing the adaptor to make this all work together is a bit frustrating.

This could all work together in harmony.

Please advise.

Kind regards

Hugo

Best answers
  • JessicaP
    Arlo Employee Retired This widget could not be displayed.
    ">
    Arlo Employee Retired

Arlo does not currently plan to support Apple HomeKit Secure Video. To integrate with HomeKit Secure Video, Arlo cameras would need to share and directly record content to Apple servers allowing content to be stored in iCloud. At Arlo, we are committed to your privacy and keeping your content safe in the Arlo cloud without sharing any information with these integrations. Take a look here for more on Arlo’s commitment to your privacy: Our Privacy Pledge | Arlo

19 REPLIES 19
JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

Hi HugoKr,

What feature were you specifically looking for with Apple HomeKit? You can read what benefits we have available when connecting your Arlo camera to Apple HomeKit here: What are the benefits of connecting my Arlo camera to Apple HomeKit?

HugoKr
Guide
Guide

The feature in specific that is missing is iCloud recording compatibility.

5 cameras are supported with iCloud + account.

Many cameras are compatible and provide recording compatibility but the Arlo recording is not enabled/compatible.

JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

Arlo does not currently plan to support Apple HomeKit Secure Video. To integrate with HomeKit Secure Video, Arlo cameras would need to share and directly record content to Apple servers allowing content to be stored in iCloud. At Arlo, we are committed to your privacy and keeping your content safe in the Arlo cloud without sharing any information with these integrations. Take a look here for more on Arlo’s commitment to your privacy: Our Privacy Pledge | Arlo

Af82
Initiate
Initiate
Except that you wouldn’t be sharing any information because HKSV is encrypted locally. No actual information is exposed to Apple.

The real reason you won’t support it is because it makes Arlo Secure unnecessary for a large group of users. Why pay for another subscription to store video in the cloud when we already pay for iCloud?

Also, for all your transparency, the “information we share” link in your privacy pledge leads to an error/page not found. Not very reassuring when you can’t actually see what information you share with others.
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Af82 wrote:

Also, for all your transparency, the “information we share” link in your privacy pledge leads to an error/page not found.

Yeah, that should be fixed.  Though the information is in the full privacy policy here: https://www.arlo.com/en-us/privacy-policy.html

Tagging @JamesC to call his attention to the dead link.

JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

We appreciate your feedback about Apple HomeKit Secure Video and will be passed along to the development team.

And thanks for letting us know about the "information is shared" link is not working. The "information is shared" link from our Privacy Pledge has now been fixed.

MickeKling
Guide
Guide

Hi!

It would be great if Arlo added the ability to connect the Pro 4 to Apple HomeKit Secure Video, I know that this might cannibalise on your own subscription, the solution to that might be a low-cost subscription to enable HomeKit Secure Video.

/Micke - Sweden

kswiss760
Initiate
Initiate
MickeKling
Guide
Guide

I have just bought 1 Arlo Pro 4, and that will be the only one that I buy until HomeKit Secure Video is enable. 

Wishu
Initiate
Initiate
When Arlo brought Arlo Ultra 2 to the market with 4k and compatible with Apple HomeKit, I switch from a different company and went all out with Arlo (Ultra 2, video doorbell, and Baby Arlo) since they all were HomeKit compatible. Assuming secure video might be on the horizon but yet to be added. My assuming, Arlo doesn’t want to sabotage their own monitoring services that are significantly overpriced. As a semi happy customer, I’m willing to junk all Arlo devices to alternative option to have Apple HomeKit Secure Video in the near future if it isn’t added. I’m a large advocate for HomeKit and have multiple HomeKit accessories and an all in one app is a must have for me. Otherwise, I’m having to have a dozen apps controlling different devices. Arlo, please provide Secure Video.
Shadowy
Star
Star

Seems like a simple solution. Just charge a small premium to redirect video to a 3rd party. Call it something like "Personal Video Storage". But, make it a reasonable prices since Arlo is not paying for the storage anyway. I mean, like $2-$3 camera. Saves the user money and Arlo still gets some money. Actually, it's free money for Arlo. I mean, they shouldn't charge in my opinion. But, if they do, this might work. And, you still would be offering the other features. Like package, vehicle detection and such. Alternative is going to a competitor.

Let's be honest, Arlo is priced a bit too high. Cameras are expensive and then you have to use the subscription to get anything useful.  Allowing HSV would be good step for Arlo in keeping customers. 

Gepaga
Aspirant
Aspirant

Same. I like my Arlo cameras (have 5 ultras) but like having everything in one app (I.e HomeKit).  I will be switching too to another set of cameras if unable to have HomeKit secure video.

MickeKling
Guide
Guide

I will sell my Arlo Pro 4’s and switch to eufyCam 2C Pro which are both cheaper and supports Homekit Secure Video. 

24c
Initiate
Initiate

That's exactly my thoughts, I've had an Ultra 2 (4K) and hub on 3 months trial and I was going to get additional cameras... they want $13/month jeepers that's more than Netflix or Prime over here. I'll be selling mine and not recommending them. Sorry Arlo, missed a trick there... I have loads of storage elsewhere, not paying your rates.

hendog93
Initiate
Initiate

Facial recognition!! So key especially for automations. Arlo advertised itself as HomeKit compatible but not having HomeKit secure video compatibility essentially means it is just viewable in the home app… 

DeeMo
Aspirant
Aspirant

MickeKing,

I am thinking about doing the same, I am disappointed that Arlo Pro 4 does not support ICloud recording.  I thought that because it was HomeKit compatable it meat that it would allow recordings to be stored to my cloud,  It’s the whole reason I got Arlo. So now I have been trying to research how to view recordings by direct access…and that seems non existent.  

HugoKr
Guide
Guide

Having invested in a top of the line hub and 5 top of the line cameras the following is a bitter fact to me.

IMHO there are four options only:

1. PAY the "extortion" money, $ 180 USD per year

2. Live with a severely handicapped system

3. Add a Home Kit compatible unit such as Logitech Circle View from Apple for the more important areas where you need remote access all the time and use the ARLO for other areas you do not need to monitor remotely.

4. Get rid of the system

cen3
Initiate
Initiate

Sorry but that is a LOAD of crap saying that Arlo is committed to privacy any security - what Arlo is committed to is charging customers for data storage - just be honest about it please.

Apple as a company has BILLIONS in their cyber-security and THEY take privacy and security as their #1 mission, let's not kid ourselves here - Arlo has almost no resources and it will only be once a bad event happens where your system is proven to be as bad as we all know it is (as we all pay and use it) - for you guys to change face.

Arlo cameras are okay, the software is CRAP, get an Apple integration that is FULL like Eufy or as soon as Eufy has good 4k cameras you guys can kiss all future business away - you're about to do yourselves in.

Ben_OZ
Tutor
Tutor
Well, +1 here, and frankly you’d save yourself the trouble of maintaining an overpriced and underperforming cloud service.
The latency accessing my Arlos via the Arlo app vs HomeKit is just abysmal.
I was just looking at setting up HKSV and adding another Arlo cam to the mix as I have a pressing need for it, but I guess given the lack of commitment making a step in this direction - as displayed in this chat, means that either the board or the executive have trouble getting their head around how to keep up pace. If your SaaS business isn’t doing what you promised investors, time to rethink. I am happy to reconsider and buy another Arlo if someone has the guts to share a prospect on HKSV here asap. Otherwise I’ll be going buying Eufy next week. Cheers