Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

won't detect base station

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
zphilp
Aspirant
Aspirant

My new arlo base station just cannot be detected !!

The base station is wired to my network (to cisco EA4500 router)  and has 2 green lights. I have tried use Andriod Arlo APP, iPad Arlo APP , iPhone Arlo APP and PC with cable direct connection to router.  DHCP is enabled. Router port 80 , 443 is not blocked, reset base station is also tried.  No luck. Any Suggestions to make it work??

8 REPLIES 8
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

How did you try the reset?  The current method is to use only the reset button until the LEDs flash amber.  If that's what you did, I'd swap systems at the store - sounds like the base has an issue.

zphilp
Aspirant
Aspirant

tried both only reset button until the LEDs flash amber  and use the reset + sync.. same failure on detection.  

don't understand Why netgear make the setup so difficult ? why not just allow user can reigister an account and link the basestation using some serial number on the basestation... it is very lousy solution to have such bad user experience!! 

don't know what the basestatoin do the setup, is some server need to connect at very begin? if yes, does the IP address of the server can be told? I might can try the ip or put the ip directly to hosts.  probabaly I can sniffer it...

currently the arlo camera suit like joke to me.  

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The installation typically is very easy but there are a number of things that can cause issues.  For starters, what are the LEDs on the base showing?  There should be two green ones on the left - power and Internet.  If the Internet LED is out, there's no connection to your router (port or cable is bad).  If it's amber, the connection to the router is there and can be verified by checking the router for an IP address assigned to the base.  However, it has no connection to the server which is basically a router issue.  The usual possibility is that you or your ISP have changed a setting blocking one or more ports to arlo.netgear.com - ports 80, 443 and 123.

zphilp
Aspirant
Aspirant

According to my observing, the base station might already successfully connec to netgear server, it seems base station do TLS setup with netgear server it using port 443, like the figure I show below

1.PNG

2.PNG

After exchange the publick key with netgear servers, it seems heartbeat message starting and continue a lot. So  it seems succefully connected... but while I using web browse to try to find the device, it still dones't work !!

3.PNG

And Didn't find what you said here port 123 usage at all, probably missing something.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Others have said that the base uses NTP from the Arlo servers, hence the need for port 123 being open to netgear.com.  I don't have personal knowledge of this and it's not listed as a required port by Netgear.

Try flushing your browser cache as well trying a different browser.

Edit:  It's also possible that it's the router configuration that is somehow at issue since it affects all devices.  What that would be is unknown since you have to make the changes yourself.

zphilp
Aspirant
Aspirant

Yes, NTP server connection is setup at very beginning, port 123 is for that and successfully get NTP service. Web browse shouldn't be problematic part since I tried in serveral systems and serveral computers include win7,win8,win10 which have ie10,ie11 and chrome.. 

only not to do is analysis the "https://arlo.netgear.com/#/gettingStarted/basestation"... Probably shouldn't spend more time on this, waste 300$. 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Or contact support via the Support link at the top here.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

zphilp,

I agree with jguerdat, if you are still having trouble and have gone through a factory reset as you indicate above, consider contacting the Arlo Support Team for further assistance as this issue appears to need more extensive troubleshooting.

If you have any additional questions/concerns feel free to private message me. I would be happy to help.

JamesC

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation