Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 19 Replies
  • 6 Likes
  • 13 In Conversation
ant
Mentor
Mentor

Hello.

I just got a weird e-mail notification from a Netgear Arlo camera:

"... Arlo has detected motion on one of your cameras. Here are the details: Patios at 7:59:27 AM CEST on May 18 2016. Note: You have set your camera to detect motion but not to record video or take a snapshot. You can change this by editing your camera rules using your Arlo app..."

However, its previous e-mail within the same minute said "... Arlo has detected motion on one of your cameras. Here are the details: Patios at 10:59:23 PM PDT on May 17 2016..." with its 10/ten seconds recording which worked fine.

I checked the camera's settings and Library (just one/1 recording from that time), and they looked fine. What the heck happened? A server hiccup? Did anyone else get this weirdness too?

Thank you in advance. 🙂

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ChristineT
Arlo Employee Retired

Good morning BobS,

Thank you for your detailed report of the issue you were experiencing. Our engineering department became of aware of this issue soon after deploying the update. We believe we have implemented a hot fix for this issue as recently as this morning. Can you confirm if the issue you were experiencing is now resolved?

If not, I would love an opportunity to work with you directly along with our engineering team. If you're willing please send me a private message with your contact information and I will reach out to you promptly.

Thank you again for your post! 

Christine

Community Manager

____
Please click KUDOS or REPLY if you found this helpful.

View solution in original post

19 REPLIES 19
Roxannamcn
Aspirant
Aspirant
I keep getting email alerts that say I have motion but no recording. Checked my library and it is recording. Any thoughts?
LillianH
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have the same problem and search online try to find the answers.

GeordieDan
Star
Star

I'm getting a duplicate "you didnt set recording" email sent each time a normal recording mail is triggered - glitch in the new app update?

ant
Mentor
Mentor

GeordieDan wrote:

I'm getting a duplicate "you didnt set recording" email sent each time a normal recording mail is triggered - glitch in the new app update?

When did that start for you? I didn't get the updated iOS app yet.

GeordieDan
Star
Star

About an hour ago - I opened the app and was prompted to update before I could continue.  Emails doubled up ever since.

ant
Mentor
Mentor

GeordieDan wrote:

About an hour ago - I opened the app and was prompted to update before I could continue.  Emails doubled up ever since.

Interesting. I just manually checked in App Store, and got it. I guess Netgear updated its server side recently to cause this. Obviously, they can't fix this problem now since it is night time. 😞

BobS
Aspirant
Aspirant

All of a sudden without any intevention Arlo Q is now generating sound and motion alert emails for all 10 cameras every minute or less, I now have hundreds of unwanted alert emails advising me that I am generating alerts and not recording - it looks to me like I am recording!

I have been into the setup of every camera to make sure that email etc is turned off and it is recording is turn on, and more importantly made sure it was saved. I went went back to check it was still saved. However I am still receiving hundreds of emails. e.g.

"Arlo has detected motion on one of your cameras. Here are the details:

Laundry 4K4261SW0BC05 at 4:04:42 PM AEST on May 18 2016.

Note: You have set your camera to detect motion but not to record video or take a snapshot. You can change this by editing your camera rules using your Arlo app"

And I thought a few cameras with red images in the past were a problem, now that I have replaced all 10 wireless cameras with Arlo Q another problem suddenly appears without any event triggering it - Are updates automatically installed?

GeordieDan
Star
Star

Seems to be a bug with the latest update

Schorschi
Prodigy
Prodigy

Perhaps try a base station soft reset, i.e. from the app/UI.

JohannaS
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have been experiencing the same thing. The email says it detects motion. I go to my recordings and find nothing. It states in the email in a note below that I have not set my camera to record but I have checked the settings and all cameras (I have five) have been set to record. 

madler
Guide
Guide

I am seeing the same thing (duplicate messages, one with a recording, one with the "Note: You have set your camera to detect motion but not to record video or take a snapshot. You can change this by editing your camera rules using your Arlo app."

It looks like the second message is due to being triggered while the initial recording was being captured, and strangely the time stamp for the 2nd message was in Central time, and the recording was in Eastern time. I'm in the Eastern time zone.

New Front Door at 8:53:18 AM EDT on May 18 2016 (recording in email)

New Front Door at 7:53:19 AM CDT on May 18 2016. (no recording)

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Can't be sure yet but it sounds like the latest Android update (2.1.0) is causing some issues like this.  Are you guys running this version or older?

ChristineT
Arlo Employee Retired

Good morning BobS,

Thank you for your detailed report of the issue you were experiencing. Our engineering department became of aware of this issue soon after deploying the update. We believe we have implemented a hot fix for this issue as recently as this morning. Can you confirm if the issue you were experiencing is now resolved?

If not, I would love an opportunity to work with you directly along with our engineering team. If you're willing please send me a private message with your contact information and I will reach out to you promptly.

Thank you again for your post! 

Christine

Community Manager

____
Please click KUDOS or REPLY if you found this helpful.
JGC2000
Apprentice
Apprentice

The same thing has been happening to me. The first time it occured was at 11pm EST last night.  I will get one email with the video like I normaily do and then a second one with the "not record video or take a snapshot message" that comes with varying time zones listed.

I'm sure this has something to do with an update and the fact that Arlo is trying to incorporate IFTTT and a geofencing beta into their system.  I guess the Arlo engineers got bored after finally having the system work(at least for me) properly for the last month and decided to create more problems instead of having a system that works.

ant
Mentor
Mentor

JGC2000 wrote:

The same thing has been happening to me. The first time it occured was at 11pm EST last night.  I will get one email with the video like I normaily do and then a second one with the "not record video or take a snapshot message" that comes with varying time zones listed.

I'm sure this has something to do with an update and the fact that Arlo is trying to incorporate IFTTT and a geofencing beta into their system.  I guess the Arlo engineers got bored after finally having the system work(at least for me) properly for the last month and decided to create more problems instead of having a system that works.

Yea, why put these beta testing stuff on production? Why not separate the servers and systems? Some of us don't want these extras including bugs.

Anyways, the issue seems to be gone now. I didn't see any new duplicates today. 🙂

madler
Guide
Guide

I am not seeing this issue anymore.  It looks like the fix has resolved the problem I was seeing.

Backatone
Aspirant
Aspirant

I reviewed camera activations and got the same notification??????

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Backatone,

Are you still having this issue? A hotfix was deployed early yesterday morning. Please let us know if you are still experiencing this issue.

JamesC

BobS
Aspirant
Aspirant

Problem now resolved - I have deleted the hundreds of emails generated by the 10 cameras at 1 minute intervals