Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

"Motion" sensor is just heat change detection?

Discussion stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
JoeArlo
Aspirant
Aspirant

After an aggravating amount of troubleshooting to figure out why my Arlo unit would frequently detect motion in my garage when there was none, I think the answer is, Arlo's motion detector is more likely not a true motion detector but rather a change in heat detector.

I have a heated garage that is thermostat controlled.  There a single heater vent on the far left wall, at about eight feet above the ground, that intermittently blows heated air from left to right across the garage.  When the heat blower turns on, the Arlo unit triggers the motion detector.  I have turned the "motion" sensor down to 5% and it still triggers the "motion" sensor when the heated air blower duct turns on.

Does the Arlo unit do any other kind of "motion" detection besides heat?

Any advice?  Thanks!

1 REPLY 1
ILoveArlo
Guide
Guide

At this time Arlo only has a camera with a passive infrared sensor which are the most commonly used sensors in security and motion dection.

It recommended that the Alro camera not be placed in such a position that an HVAC vent would blow hot or cold air onto the surface of the plastic which covers the housing's window. Although air has very low emissivity (emits very small amounts of infrared energy), the air blowing on the plastic window cover could change the plastic's temperature enough to trigger a false alarm.

Discussion stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation