Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras

Discussion stats
  • 14 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 5 In Conversation
JT
Guide
Guide

I have five cameras on one base unit. I set Rules to have two cameras start recording when motion was detected on the Front Gate. I also had two cameras set to record when motion was detected on the Back Gate. This was working perfectly until two weeks ago, when the "record when motion is detected on anohter camera" Rules suddenly ceased work. (The Ruels to record on a camera when motion was detected on the same camera still work perfectly.)

I deleted all rules from our account. Then, I deleted all  deleted all cameras from our account; took out all of the batteries from all cameras, and cycled power on the base station. I then inserted the batteries into one camera and synched it to the base, repeating the synch for each camera. Finally, I added back in both types of rules (record when mothion is detected, and record when motion is detected on another camea).

The "record on a camera when motion is detected on another camera" rules are still not working. Cameras do record when motion is detected on that camera.

Any help is appreciated.

14 REPLIES 14
JohnR
Arlo Employee Retired

Good Day JT, 

Can you please send me (PM) a screenshot of the rules that you have created? 

Thanks, 

JohnR

Arlo Team

Thanks,

JohnR
Netgear Community Team
JT
Guide
Guide

How do I send a PM?  🙂

JT
Guide
Guide

I found the PM function. I sent 11 screen shots. Thanks for your help!

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

The fact that it use to work for you ( and has for me in the past / will have to re-test now ) leads me to think it's more than just the rules.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

TomMac wrote:

The fact that it use to work for you ( and has for me in the past / will have to re-test now ) leads me to think it's more than just the rules.

Just tested it here again ... Cam A MOTION causes RECORD on B.... still works fine.

Also watched live view screen while testing.... "Running Man" on A turned RED ( recording ) But "Red Flashing cam icon" on cam B was also flashing ( actual record)

jimmyzshack
Guide
Guide

how do you make it record both cameras? instead of only the other one.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

jimmyzshack wrote:

how do you make it record both cameras? instead of only the other one.

you can have both cams record if sensed by themself, you can have cam A sense and record on B ( and opposite ) but you can't do both.

( first cam sense > recording cam )

A>B , B>A, also A>B, B>C, C>D BUT NOT A>A+B

You always loose one of the cameras if used as a sensor for others in chain

JT
Guide
Guide

Our main issue is teenagers coming onto our preschool yard after hours to hang out, smoke pot, and sometimes destroy our play equipment or storage sheds.

Our camera set-up covers a large, L-shaped preschool play yard which is divided into four sections. There is one gated entrance. To get to each section, one must pass through gates for the variuous cross-fenced areas. (Intruders have been known to jump the 8 foot fences around the sides and back, as well, so other camera point to those areas, too.)

The front gate camera is set to record for 10 seconds On Motion. Intruders usually pass through this first area quickly, as the area can be viewed by passers-by.

A second Rule activates the camera in the immediately adjacent area upon motion on the Front Gate camera, also recording for 10 seconds. (This camera also captures a portion of the area covered by the Front Gate camera.) This recording begins after the 10 seconds of Front Gate On Motion recording. By activating it, this camera is already recording when the intruder enters the second area (no need to activate, then the delay for recording. We have also caught an intruder as he was leaving this area -- that man moved fast!).

We have this “chain reaction” set up for each camera: a rule to record for 10 seconds On Motion; then another rule for motion on that camera to record in the adjacent area for ten seconds. We have been able to trace the movements of intruders through our yards, then – as they settle in one area – we get notifications of recording On Motion in that one area.

One employee receives the push notifications during our off-hours. That person views the videos (and can set the camera in the area of the intruders to Record On), then calls local police to report in real time what is happening: trespassing and/or vandalism. (Our school is about 500 feet from the Police Department building. They know us and get here fast!)

I hope htis makes sense. Let me know if anything needs calrificaiton.

jimmyzshack
Guide
Guide

Thanks for the answer, i hope they change this soon. Doesn't make sence that you can have one camera trigger another but not be able to record both.

JT
Guide
Guide

I agree. Recording should be capable on several cameras at once.

The only way I know to get more than one camera to record at the same time is to use more than one base station, and more than one account. Split the cameras that you wan to record simeultaneously onto separate base stations.

KristynM
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

jimmyzshack and JT, 

With  regards to your inquiries a possible setup of rules could be:

If motion detected on Camera 01 then record on Camera 01

If motion detected on Camera 01 then record on Camera 02

If motion detected on Camera 01 then record on Camera 03

If motion detected on Camera 02 then record on Camera 01

If motion detected on Camera 02 then record on Camera 02

If motion detected on Camera 02 then record on Camera 03

If motion detected on Camera 03 then record on Camera 01

If motion detected on Camera 03 then record on Camera 02

If motion detected on Camera 03 then record on Camera 03

After setting up the rules, under the All Motion On mode remember to check the checkmark icon next to all of the rules. The checkmarks need to be all green.

Let us know if that improves your experience.

Regards,
KristynM
Arlo Support Team
jimmyzshack
Guide
Guide

from what i'm being told this doesn't work because you can only have 1 rule per camera, But this need to be implimented. It doesn't make sence that you can use the motion dectection on one camera to trigger another camera to record but you can't have both camera's record at the same time.

KristynM
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

jimmyzshack,

With the provided example of rules provided previously, you'll be able to have more than one camera record simultaneously. 

When you are modifying the rules you'll be able to select the name of the camera where you want motion detection to be detected and then select which camera you would like to start the recording. 

Regards,
KristynM
Arlo Support Team
jimmyzshack
Guide
Guide

Thanks, I tried it and it's working

Discussion stats
  • 14 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 5 In Conversation