Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Watching video in landscape and difficulty tapping buttons

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
pluckytree
Star
Star

The Arlo hardware is awesome. The web interface is nice and works well, but the iOS software is very frustrating. The software update in December made the iOS apps worse in two areas it already wasn't very good at: dealing with portrait and landscape orientation and making buttons and sliders extremely difficult to tap and drag. The video has the aspect ratio of a device in landscape and really should never be shown in portrait. Anyways, the iPad app is always in landscape, which is good, but here's the iPad resting on the standard Apple smart cover:

IMG_0596.JPG

Setting up an app to support both directions in landscape is the matter of adding a key to a plist. This needs to get fixed.

The iPhone has the same rotation issue of the iPad but also some other frustrating behavior:

• The camera list is only in portrait
  • If you want to play a live stream, you start in portrait, tap play, wait for it to play, press the full screen button, rotate to landscape and already you've missed the first 5 seconds of the video
  • If you want to reset to the beginning, the time slider is extremely difficult to tap and drag. In fact, all of them are difficult to drag
  • After dismissing the video, you're back to portait again. Frustrating if you want to check more than one camera
  • When watching a video recorded by the motion sensor, the control are even smaller. At the beginning of the video, the time slider and the play/pause button are virtually on top of each other.

Since it's hard to describe in pictures, I put up two videos. It thinks the URLs are invalid, but they work fine:

http://pluckytree.org/netgear/IMG_0026.m4v

http://pluckytree.org/netgear/IMG_0028.m4v

Maybe the Android app is better, but the iOS app is not at the level of quality I would expect from Arlo.

- Chris

2 REPLIES 2
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

pluckytree,

What iOS version/model ipad are you running? I tested this on an ipad 2 with version 9.0 and both directions of landscape work fine. Consider checking your settings to make sure rotation isn't locked.

JamesC

pluckytree
Star
Star

Rotation lock is off. You have one user in your 2 star review on the App Store mentioning the same. I should have gone with my instinct and not mentioned iPad at all. Focus on the iPhone issues only and then we can talk iPad. 🙂

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation