Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

WIDGET TO TOGGLE CAMERA MOTION DETECTION

Discussion stats
  • 11 Replies
  • 11 Likes
  • 7 In Conversation
XJW
Apprentice
Apprentice

It would be very useful to be able to toggle motion detection on/off when I leave/return to the house.  It takes 11 touches for me to tic/untic a rule within my "Day time" mode.  A Widget could do this with one touch - like a switch.  Anyone else like this idea ?

11 REPLIES 11
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I think that's a great idea.  The established mechanism to suggest this is to click on the Submit Idea button on the right side of the forum message list screen and either add kudos to existing posts or add a new one.  More kudos to the idea(s) means more likely to implement.

tlogic
Aspirant
Aspirant

funny you said that, I caame on here to find out if this could be done.

singlet
Apprentice
Apprentice

I just installed yesterday so I am new to this but I have the app on my iPhone and just switch 'mode' from all motion OFF to all motion ON when I go out and switch  'mode' from all motion ON to all motion OFF when I return. (maybe I misunderstand what you are trying to do?)

singlet
Apprentice
Apprentice

To clarify the "Rule" for all motion ON has all four camera's set to record on motion, and the "Rule" for all motion OFF has no camera's selectet to record on motion.

Schorschi
Prodigy
Prodigy

XJW wrote:

It would be very useful to be able to toggle motion detection on/off when I leave/return to the house.  It takes 11 touches for me to tic/untic a rule within my "Day time" mode.  A Widget could do this with one touch - like a switch.  Anyone else like this idea ?

It seems like you haven't yet discovered or understood the concept of Modes and the Schedule.

During regular operation you should never touch your rules to turn individual cameras on or off. Instead, you should set up your rules once and in turn activate (or deactivate) them via modes. The last (though optional) step would be setting up a Schedule.

So, let's assume you have four cameras. You would have at the least four rules, one for each camera, each rule recording video footage when a motion event occurs for that very camera.

You now create a Mode, let's call it "System armed" and make sure each of your four rules is checked/active, i.e. has a green checkmark. Don't forget to save your mode. Then you create a second Mode and call it "System unarmed" and make sure none of your four rules are checked, i.e. all checkmarks behind each rule are black. Again, don't forget to save the mode.

So, now when you leave the house, you simply turn on the Mode "System armed" and when you return (preferably before you enter the house, so you don't create unnecessary video footage) you activate the "System unarmed" mode.

The final step would be to set up your Schedule and arrange your modes on each day of the week so that the "System armed" mode is active when you're away or sleeping and the "System unarmed" mode is active when you're home. Of course, the schedule may not always work perfectly, as you are most likely not leaving or returning at exactly the same time every day, so at times you may have to override the schedule and manually select the "System unarmed" mode when you come home early.

You may do a lot more fine-tuning with rules, modes and the schedule, but I hope the principle of how you use these features has become clear.

darwynnc
Tutor
Tutor
Regardless of the method of turning off the camera, it's too long. There needs to be some method of snoozing motion detection so that it does keep notifying when you come home for 10 minutes.
midget2000x
Guide
Guide

I am pretty sure he/she just meant toggle modes.  

I come and go at irregular times and thus manually toggle the "all motion on" and "all motion off" modes.  It does take too long.  Perhaps an additionl app is in order - something you can put on your phone's home screen.  Perhaps it could just require a tap and not even open anything.  That would be a huge improvement.

XJW
Apprentice
Apprentice

The user interface has changed since I raised this post however the issue remains that there should be a single touch homescreen icon that allows us to switch between modes.  This is an obvious Requirement for an application of this type.  Make your system easy to use.  Why implement more complex solutions like Geofencing when this is more obvious, useful, simple and important.  I suspect the programmers are working their "pet projects".  Geofencing is useless for any house with more than one occupant.  Annoyed that you are not allocating time to the simple solutions that will benefit everyone.

XJW
Apprentice
Apprentice
Any news ? Switching Modes is a fundamental requirement. Every time I leave the house I need to turn my indoor cameras on. Give us a single touch icon to switch Modes. And don't link it to the ARM/DISARM Modes. These are useless as they are restricted to one rule per camera.
XJW
Apprentice
Apprentice

This would significantly improve the usability of the Arlo product. Everyone would use it.  Is anyone from Netgear listening ?  Are these forums a waste of time ?

XJW
Apprentice
Apprentice

Any news ?  Switching your security cameras on/off has got to be the most fundamental feature.  Making the process ridiculously arduous has got to be the most fundamental flaw.  Please provide a simple one click widget for each mode.

Discussion stats
  • 11 Replies
  • 11 Likes
  • 7 In Conversation