Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Very unreliable motion detection (happened recently)

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
ws1088
Guide
Guide

Starting a few days ago, my motion detection of both camera are very unreliable. Sometimes motion is detected, sometimes not. This is different from the recent reports of email alert coming very late after push notification (which I also have experienced).

Battery level is high, FYI.

2 REPLIES 2
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

It could be something to do with the angle of the sun changing as the seasons change.  I've had a lot of issues with sun reflecting off leaves on a west-pointing camera as a result - the sun's IR reflecting would cause detection.  No detection may be related with the sensor being swamped by other sources of IR.  Does this happen all the time or during one time period (maybe a couple of hours)?

Also, would the motion be detected moving across the FOV, starting at an edge?  Is the scene too large so motion is more in the center and/or moving towards the camera?  A screenshot would help for specific position/angle suggestions.

ws1088
Guide
Guide

For false motions, I agree that it could be due to reflection of leaves, etc. 

For no motions, maybe it is related to the sensor not "warm up" yet?

http://www.safewise.com/resources/motion-sensor-guide

Passive Infrared (PIR):

Detects body heat (infrared energy). Passive infrared sensors are the most widely used motion in home security systems. When your system is armed, your motion sensors are activated. Once the sensor warms up, it can detect heat and movement in the surrounding areas, creating a protective "grid." If a moving object blocks too many grid zones and the infrared energy levels change rapidly, the sensors are tripped.

I find the sensor most unreliable during morning when it is cold. Usually once there is a missed motion, the next motion (exactly the same movement) will work. Wonder if netgear and confirm or disapprove this?

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation