Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

User Capacity

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
FamilySecurity
Initiate
Initiate

How many viewers/users can you add to one arlo system? I am looking at installing one in a daycare and need to know how many parents can have access to the account, 

5 REPLIES 5
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

FamilySecurity,

Only one user at a time can be signed in to a single account. Additional users can be granted access to the account by using the grant access feature: How do I add friends to my Arlo account?

In your case you would want to set up a primary account for the system and then grant access to each parent who wants access.

JamesC

Schorschi
Prodigy
Prodigy
But you didn't answer the main question.

Is there a limit as to how many friend accounts can be given access to an Arlo system?

Further, how many friend accounts can concurrently watch? It's probably five, right? Can the same camera be watched in Live View by more than one friend account at the same time?
If so, what is the limit of concurrent Live Views on the same camera?
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Schorschi,

All great questions. I will escalate for further clarification on this topic and seek an update to the above article.

JamesC

FamilySecurity
Initiate
Initiate
How can I use this for my daycare parents to look in without changing any settings and how many parents can I invite to use 1 camera
Schorschi
Prodigy
Prodigy

FamilySecurity wrote:
How can I use this for my daycare parents to look in without changing any settings and how many parents can I invite to use 1 camera

I did briefly test concurrent Live View from one administrator and one friend account on the same camera. I can report that it works.

The thing is, if two people try to access the same Arlo system under the same account the last one to log on, will kick off anyone else currently logged in under the same account. So, you would have to give your parents all individual accounts, possibly by limiting it to one account per couple and letting them know that if both were attempting to view at the same time, only one would be able to log on.

Ideally, you'd create one account per parent who is requesting access to avoid this situation, but if the number of accounts that can be created to access the same Arlo system is limited, you'd have to limit the accounts to a bare minimum, i.e. no more than one account per couple.

Further, you cannot exceed five concurrent Live Views per base station. So, you'd have to educate the parents that no more than five people can watch at the same time, and that it's possible that they cannot watch if the maximum has been reached. Possibly ask them to keep it brief.

However, the five-camera limit can be alleviated by increasing the number of base stations, though I don't know if there is an upper limit on the number of base stations that can be used on the same system; I vaguely recall there is a limit and it might be in the 4-5 range, but don't quote me on it.

So, if you were to get 15 cameras (the maximum you can connect on the same account), and three base stations, you can alleviate the concurrency issue somewhat.

But: I believe the Arlo wirefree cameras are hardly suited for your purpose because they are battery-powered and the batteries would deplete in no time given Live View usage by multiple users. Depending on actual usage, you would probably run through a set within just a few hours to a day. The CR123A batteries are rare and as a result quite expensive, especially when bought at local retail stores. The cheapest online prices are still in the $1.50 to $2 range per single battery. Four go into a single camera. Rechargeables are available, and although cost a multiple of single-use batteries (around $6+ a piece), they would save you money in the long run. But you would be juggling the batteries even more frequently, because they wouldn't last as long as single-use batteries. On top of that you'd probably need at least a double battery count so that one battery set can charge while the other is in use. Multiple chargers would also be needed. These cost about $30 for a four-battery charger. And last but not least, I don't know how feasible it is to change batteries during daycare hours. Someone will probably have to get a step stool or ladder to get to the camera(s) to exchange batteries. With a bunch of kids around this might be prohibitive.

You should therefore look into the Arlo Q cameras instead, because they are powered from outlets. You never have to worry about batteries with these. I don't know for sure if the Arlo Q's are subject to the same limitations (and capabilities) as the wirefree cameras as far as concurrency goes, so someone else will have to chip in.

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation