Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras

Re: Still with the Flash?

Discussion stats
cpagel Aspirant
Aspirant

I keep getting the prompt for updating flash in two different browsers, Windows Chrome, and Mac/Safari (wife's computer). I read the posts about adding flash permission and turning on "ephemeral" mode but those do not seem to work and/or are no longer available options.

What is the permanent solution in 2019 for removing the flash warning from Chrome and Safari browsers?

- Chris

Model: VMC5040 | Arlo Ultra Add-On Camera
Casaflyr Initiate
Initiate

So now it's been over a year since my post on this. I still can't view my cameras on my computer. I've basically just given up and use a phone or tablet whenever I need to view my cameras. I've tried to find a permanent solution to the constant "update flash" messages, and I've given up. Arlo says they need time...apparently a year isn't enough. 

Model: VMB3000 | Arlo Base Station
krakead Initiate
Initiate

Given Netgear's prolonged and deafening silence on this matter I am ditching my 5-camera Arlo setup and replacing it with something that's properly supported and doesn't rely on obsolete and insecure technology. I work in web development and infrastructure, and can categorically state there is NO good reason for this delay except commercial greed. Frankly, Netgear's lack of response to this is appalling and unforgivable.

Well done Netgear. You won't be seeing another penny from me in the future.

Model: VMC3030 | Arlo Wire-Free Camera
chibooey Aspirant
Aspirant

I also have a five camera setup and was looking to upgrade for a better camera.  Arlo brags about their updated hardware  but they have failed miserably to update the required software.  Hey Netgear, both hardware and software are required for an acceptible system.   I am fed up with having to jump though the Flash hoops  to protect my systems due to security holes in Flash and the Arlo Flash requirement. 

NetGear support has been telling us for almost two years that they are working on a software upgrade but there was no release date.   Well I for one am tired of waiting for Netgear to fix their software security flaws.  I will be taking my business elsewhere.

Model: VMB4500 | Arlo Pro/Pro2 Base Station
Highlighted
krakead Initiate
Initiate
I've given up waiting - had a new system installed a few weeks ago. Anyone want to buy a used 5-camera system?
JanL Initiate
Initiate

Can you tell us what system you've migrated to? I'm thinking of replacing it too

arlo_mdfamily Guide
Guide

Today I have submitted a formal complaint for inaction on this issue with the better business bureau.  I was waiting for a long time (3+ months) for Arlo to properly register themselves, however they did not; so I submitted the information myself.

For anyone else looking to do the same (strongly advise you to do so).

Their legal address from Arlo support was shared with me:

3030 Orchard Pkwy
San Jose, CA 95134, USA
arlo_mdfamily Guide
Guide

CORRECTION: support responded with the addresses

The Arlo corporate address is 

3030 Orchard Parkway 

San Jose, CA 95134

The address associated with BBB site is:

2200 Faraday Ave. #150

Carlsbad, CA 92008

arlo_mdfamily Guide
Guide

Officially, via the BBB complaint, Arlo has responded with:

MESSAGE FROM BUSINESS:

Good day!

We are aware of the desire for HTML 5 support to improve the Arlo experience for desktop web app users. Our team has a few other releases ahead of this initiative and appreciates your patience as we work on a transition to HTML 5.

In the meantime, the Arlo App for iOS and Arlo App for Android offer the most robust experience for managing your Arlo devices.

Thank you.

Sincerely,

(snip name)

Sr. Customer Care Advocate

ARLO Technologies, Inc.

Dave2007 Aspirant
Aspirant

I've been reading the responses to the "Flash" issue. I have the Live views working on my Samsung tablet but can't get it working on my Windows 10 PC.  After all these posts you would think there would be some sound advice. The  troubleshooting advice I was given from support,  "Check your internet connection and make sure it's working".  I'm a 20  year IT professional and I need someone to tell me to check my internet connection.  I'll make sure my computer is turned on and plugged in too.

Model: VMB4000 | Arlo Pro/Pro2 Base Station
Guru StephenB Guru
Guru

@Dave2007 wrote:

I've been reading the responses to the "Flash" issue. I have the Live views working on my Samsung tablet but can't get it working on my Windows 10 PC. 

What browser are you using?

Dave2007 Aspirant
Aspirant

Mozilla Firefox 7.0.0.1

Model: VMB4000 | Arlo Pro/Pro2 Base Station
chibooey Aspirant
Aspirant

Help desks are only capable of following scripts anymore, and they start at the kindergarten level.   Sad, my preschool grandchildren know more than they do...   

I got it working on my Macbook, and need to verify it works on the Win 10 partition (but I believe it did with Chrome.  It doesn't work easily, requiring me to grant Flash permissions each time.  Using the Dissenter (Chrome) browser.   If it become usable only on my cell phone I will be replacing the entire system.  I will be replacing all 5 cameras anyway when the batteries start to go.

Guru StephenB Guru
Guru

@Dave2007 wrote:

Mozilla Firefox 7.0.0.1

Ok.  I have FireFox 70.0.1 (64 bit) installed, along with Adobe Flash 32.0.0.293.

Steps that work for me are

• click on "Live" for one of my cameras
  • Wait for the "A Newer Version of Adobe Flash ..." message to appear over the camera view

At this point I see a new icon appear between the padlock in the address bar and the URL.  This looks like a lego brick, and if you mouse over it you will see "manage plug-in use" displayed.  Click on that icon, and a pop-up will appear.  Click on "Allow" to enable flash for the site.

After doing this, I then

• Click on the "x" on the "newer version of Adobe Flash" message to dismiss it.
  • Click on "Live" again.

Live then works with no update flash message (and other flash functions also work), until I log out.

FWIW, this is simpler if you use Chrome or Edge instead of FireFox.  We can give you the process for either of those browsers if you are interested.

Dave2007 Aspirant
Aspirant

I followed the instructions for the flash icon and it worked although it's a little inconsistent.  Sometimes I need to log off and back on so it works

Guru StephenB Guru
Guru

@Dave2007 wrote:

I followed the instructions for the flash icon and it worked although it's a little inconsistent.  Sometimes I need to log off and back on so it works

Good.

Chrome is simpler, and you only need to re-allow it when you open the browser.  I just keep the browser open (unless I reboot).