Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Slow and Missing Phone Notifications

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
BigBillJones
Aspirant
Aspirant

Bought a Q Plus and installed it.  Wireless connection 20 feet from router, 1 wall.  It seems to be functioning fine and takes videos.  

However the notifications on my phone are very erratic.  They'll either come instantly or 2-10 minutes later.  Or not at all sometimes.  If I check the app I'll see the number increase and sure enough videos are in the library but the notifications are too erratic too keep this if I can't figure it out.  Also sometimes they aren't pushing... If I activate the phone I'll suddenly get the notifications.  Odd and the only app that does it.

Phone is set to wireless only at the moment.  Rebooting things doesn't help.   Any ideas?

4 REPLIES 4
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The way it's SUPPOSED to work is push notifications happen within seconds of starting a recording while email notifications happen after the video finishes being uploaded.  I think you're using push so they should be more or less instantaneous.

There have been scattered reports, some recent, of delayed notifications but it's hard to pin down why that happens.  Since it would seem to be an insteraction between the servers and the app, anything that would interfere with that communication would be an issue.  Your testing is a good start to see if one or the other connection method has anything to do with anything.  

I don't know that there's anything that can be done on your end to help.  It's my opinion (so take it with a grain of salt) that it's the server-based architecture that causes this.  If anything slows down the connection between your system and the servers, all bets are off.  While it usually works well, stuff happens that's out of our control.  Unless the base could be made to directly communicate with your phone, I don't see how it could be made better.  And the base currently has no idea how talk to the phone so...

BigBillJones
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply.  Yes that makes sense and is along the lines of what I've been thinking.  I don't understand the "notifications upon unlocking" behavior though, where I don't get them until the phone wakes up.  That may be hours at times!   A few seconds delay at times is okay... several minutes at least once a day is not, and neither is the above mentioned behavior.

BigBillJones
Aspirant
Aspirant

...and another 8 minute delay before the notification

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
My push notifications can be an issue with Android 7's Doze mode. Usually notifications come fairly quickly but I've noted some that only come when awakened.
Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation