Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Separate apps for Arlo & Arlo Q?

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
ss7
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hello,

The most recent update to the Arlo android app (ver. 2.01_11309) requires permission to record audio from the phone microphone in preparation for the new Arlo Q, which uses bidirectional audio (according to thread here). 

Would it be feasible in the future to create separate apps for Arlo and Arlo Q? The original Arlo does not use any audio and would not require microphone audio permission. Updating and allowing this permission seems excessive for the userbase who will not be using the new Arlo Q. 

Any thoughts/insight appreciated. Thank you.

2 REPLIES 2
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

App v2.01x implies you're on Android. I just checked on my Nexus 6 running 6.01 Marshmallow and you can (dis)allow permissions on a per permission basis. That's a new feature so, if on MM, go to phone Settings, select apps and Arlo. There's a permissions section where you can turn off the microphone permission. I realize that isn't what you were after but may be of some use.

ss7
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi jguerdat, thanks for the fast response. It's good to know that individual permissions can be managed on Marshmallow. Unfortunately, I'm on a Note 4 which only supports up to 5.1.1 Lollipop, which in turn doesn't support managing individual app permissions.

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation