Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 4 In Conversation
NowakerTmp
Star
Star

I've set my Arlo Pros to 2 minutes of video after motion or sound is detected. Unfortunately, the notifications arrive to mobile and email not the moment the motion/sound is detected, but after a 2-minute clip has been recorded and uploaded to cloud. This introduces 2+ minutes of delay in notifications!

As per Arlo Pro marketing materials, "View live anytime and receive instant email or mobile alerts whenever motion or audio is detected." Two minutes late is not instant. Arlo is advertised as "Smart Home Security" but 2+ minutes from the motion/sound trigger to notification is far from "security". 

Please send the notification as soon as motion/sound is detected.

Here's the proof notifications are 2+ minutes late:

1. Notification delivered at 6.09pm. Email content clearly states motion was detected at 6.07pm. The same time is displayed in the webapp.

2. The same moment the notification was delivered, the video showed up in My Arlo > Library, and was ready to view and download.

original.png

8 REPLIES 8
Judeismyname
Aspirant
Aspirant

One of the factors that affects the delay is the Internet speed, and sometimes the video quality if it is on 1080.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

You should be aware that Pushes come at the start of the trigger event, while emails come at the end of the recording cycle.... 

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
NowakerTmp
Star
Star

@Judeismyname, doesn't matter. TomMac confirmed email notifications come at the end of the recording cycle which is far from "instant".

@TomMac, and that's the problem, email notifications are far from instant. "View live anytime and receive instant email or mobile alerts whenever motion or audio is detected." As per the push notifications, yes, I realized they actually arrive earlier, around 30 seconds after motion is detected, so not that bad. If only their push notifications actually worked all the time. Email is the only reliable but 2+ minutes of delay for email is very bad

@JamesC, please have a look here. Thanks.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Email notifications arrive after the the detection event because they include a link to that event. This is working as designed. You should always receive a push notification at the start of the event (providing push notifications are enabled and the app is running on your mobile device).

JamesC

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

, "View live anytime and receive instant email or mobile alerts whenever motion or audio is detected."

Not to be a stickler... OR means of of the two options....the fact that Push alerts come at the start of the trigger event makes that statement true

Morse is faster than texting!
NowakerTmp
Star
Star

@JamesC Then don't include the link and send the notification right away. This is a security system and receiving a notification 2 or 3 minutes after the event is bad.

Push notifications are a different story. If you look at Slack, their push notifications work no matter if the app is running or not - I don't know how they do it but they do it well and I never missed a notification from Slack. Push notifications from Arlo aren't reliable and depending solely on them is asking for trouble.

@TomMac Very nice indeed of them to claim "get X, Y or Z" and actually offer Z only.

NowakerTmp
Star
Star

E-mail notifications are sent after the full clip has been recorded and uploaded to cloud. This may take from 10 to 120 seconds, depending on mode settings. Contrary to what the marketing materials say, this isn't instant. Please make email notifications instant, just like push notifications.

NowakerTmp
Star
Star
Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 4 In Conversation