Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Night vision

Discussion stats
  • 10 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 6 In Conversation
TabletArlo1
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hello, how can night vision be switched on? 

Arlo works very well during daylight.

Tim

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Schorschi
Prodigy
Prodigy
Go into Settings -> My Devices -> <Your camera>

Turn on Night Vision.

Voila.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
Schorschi
Prodigy
Prodigy
Go into Settings -> My Devices -> <Your camera>

Turn on Night Vision.

Voila.
Tohudson
Aspirant
Aspirant
Is there away to automatically have it set to night vision? Or program at a certain time?
Schorschi
Prodigy
Prodigy

Tohudson wrote:
Is there away to automatically have it set to night vision? Or program at a certain time?

The setting I pointed out above enables Night Vision, it doesn't mean it is constantly active. In other words, only in poor lighting will the camera activate the infrared LED array right below the lens to illuminate the scene. In sufficient lighting, whether by an artificial flood light at night or the sun during the day, the IR LEDs will not be turned on, of course, even though Night Vision mode might be active in the Settings.

So enabling Night Vision in the Settings does not mean the camera will always use the IR LEDs to illuminate the scene, but only when ambient lighting is insufficient.

Also, note that an IR-filter will be mechanically moved in front of the lens in daylight lighting, and moved away from the lens when "night-viewing" with IR LED illumination.

I don't actually know if the camera will refuse to record when Night Vision mode is unselected in the Settings and a motion event occurs in lighting conditions that would require the IR LEDs to be used, or whether the camera records anyway even though the footage may be underexposed. I suspect it will be the latter though.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Any of the Arlo cameras will definitely record if night vision is disabled. Whether the video is useful is a whole 'nuther question.

TabletArlo1
Aspirant
Aspirant
Can one send photos via this App? I have just used Arlo to record video of rats being trapped.
Schorschi
Prodigy
Prodigy
You can share a complete video clip from the library. Still shots only if you take a screenshot, save that as a file and share it with others.

You can take still shots directly only from live view, so when the event occurs. They will be saved to the library just like video recordings and can be shared from there.
Riverranch
Aspirant
Aspirant
I have 2 arlo wireless cameras and I have night vision turned on for both, but it's not working for either (the videos are completely back at night)... any ideas of how I can troubleshoot and resolve?
Schorschi
Prodigy
Prodigy
What kind of area are you monitoring? Can you provide screenshots from both cameras? Is it possible that the area is simply too large?

The IR lights only reach up to about 20 ft, so if your cameras are pointed at an area or objects that are much farther than 20 ft away, the light isn't strong enough to illuminate anything, as it's too far away and the scene will appear dark.

If that's not it, check if the lights come on in the dark when motion is triggered. They glow faintly in the dark when they come on.

Larc4
Star
Star

One of my 2 cameras is black at night, even with a light right under it.
Nightvision is turned on. I removed the battery and put it back in.
I turned off and then back on the nightvision.
I put the other camera next to this one and it worked fine in night vision.
Anywhere else I could have a setting to play with??

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Nope. It should either work or not. Open a case here: https://www.arlo.com/en-us/support/contact.aspx

Discussion stats
  • 10 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 6 In Conversation