Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Netgear's data storage centre/server - Infrastructure upgrade urgenly needed

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
Cantab
Star
Star

Netgear's data storage centre is in dire need of an upgrade.

I highly doubt there is a problem with my internet connection or local network because Wi-Fi signal is superb, all other computers on the local network are not experiencing any connection issues, and we are using 1Gbps fibre optics. But there is no way to verify this - another aspect which I've complained about which has not, at the time of writing, been taken heed of. Please see see my other post entitled "(in)Consistent high-res recording: More RAM & Diagnostic Tool".

Reasons why I say Netgear's infrastructure is in dire need of an upgrade include:

• Really long time to initiate the "Live view", is "buffering" most of the time, and it often stops streaming vidoes completely after a while.
  • When reviewing the recordings using the online platform, the video often blanks out (quite literally shows a black screen for a few moments). Strangely, downloading the recording eliminates the aforementioned 'blanking out' problem, but there are other problems as well. Even when reviewing the downloaded recordings, the video quality is inconsistent. First, the resolution just seems to drop (see video, below). Second, there seems to be high jitter - video playback gets choppy and then plays too quickly. Only the first issue is present in the following video. I'll upload another video depicting the second issue, if there's a request to.

• There is occassional video corruption

Corruption.png

PS: Sorry for linking to tiny pic; This forum does not allow uploading of videos...

5 REPLIES 5
bmattox79
Apprentice
Apprentice
I agree the bottle neck must be on netgears end, I have a high speed fiber connection with consistently very low pings to severs all over the country and have now issues with connectivity. I've also said I believe this for the delay in recording i.e. One camera should record 25 seconds but only gets 23, due to the base having to wait to contact netgears servers
Cantab
Star
Star

Thank you for sharing your experience, bmattox79! 

Cantab
Star
Star

I contacted support, just to see whether they would acknowledge that the problem is on Netgear's side. So far, they've just been asking me to check my settings and testing my Wi-Fi signal quality.

I thought I should post my Wi-Fi speeds here to convince readers that there is indeed nothing wrong with my LAN. The test was conducted on a Macbook Air (2015 version), on the 2.4GHz freq channel, just below where the camera is located. 

As an aside, I can't seem to get the Arlo camera to connect to the router on the 5GHz freq channel, thus I'm using 2.4GHz.

Speednet.png

Cantab
Star
Star

The cameras are not showing excellent signal strength. 

Note: The wifi signal strength only appears on the Android app, not he iPad nor web interface.

Arlo #1.jpgArlo #2.jpg

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Cantab,

Please private message me with the case number you have open with support team and I will review your case and offer any additional feedback that I can.

JamesC

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation