Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Motion sensor - red lights

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
LTINCU
Follower
Follower

Does the Pro Wire-Free system offer a way to disable the red flickering lights you see on the face of the basic Arlo device when it detects motion.  I would prefer an intruder not be notified that a monitoring device has detected their motion.  With a maximum motion detection range of 20' (which doesn't seem  like much to me) I feel it would easy for an intruder to notice the red flickering lights and know somethings up.  And unless you mount the device 10' or higher it's easy to snatch down.  Am I missing something or correct in my thought process?

6 REPLIES 6
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

850nm IR illumination is lightly visible. No way around it. You can use other external lights, IR or normal, to light the scene while turning night vision off.

jemory11
Aspirant
Aspirant

Where are the settings to turn on & off the flashing red lights when motion is detected.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Settings, My Devices, your camera, Video Settings, Night Vision. 

ollantigh
Tutor
Tutor

I tried that answer and it just switches off the nightvison mode- what would be a better question would be: How do you disguise the red lights?

so in the original question above- so that they are invisable to the intruder? and i know that exterior lighting would be better but one wouldn't like to scare the intruder away before the individual shows their face unwittingly...and last thing whats the best distance for night vison? (noob here!) 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

It's the nature of the beast.  Many/most consumer devices use near infrared to light and detect the scene.  The typical choices are 850nm (dull red) or 950nm (maybe purpleish). Arlo uses the 850nm version and there's no way to block it without blocking the light in the first place.  And the night vision setting simply allows the IR illuminators on/off - it doesn't do anything else.

The use of outdoor lighting may scare intruders away but isn't that better than having them caught in the act?  Either way, you have a chance of catching their face and actions.

As for distance, maybe 10-15 feet is all you'll get from the built-in illuminators - it's battery-powered after all.  Additional lighting would increase the range for recognizing the subject as well as potentially using color for a better image (lighting has to be bright enough) although even in B&W the additional lighting improves the quality of the video.  Use of an IR spotlight (search for them on Amazon - there's tons) would be less noticeable since it would be the dull red color but perhaps be mounted in a location that isn't as easily detected.  Decide on the distance you need to throw the light and buy the power you need - some are pretty weak.

ollantigh
Tutor
Tutor

In my first week with them on at night, i've found that close up - the image at night is quite good- however the eyes of the person glow quite brightly, it seems to me that the red light problem although noticable by me is not that noticeable by the person in shot. my nieces family didn't see them- quite i don't know as camera is just 7 feet away?

But the main problem is the other camera hiden in a bush- it illuminates the surrounding leaves and blacks out the main view-you can see something going on but the details are dimly litand the camera is about 10 to 13 feet away perhaps an extra source of infra red light is the answer as you suggested, making that invisable is a whole new ball game...multiple angles captures faces etc, but the main reason is to hide the damn thing during the day. (no problems there)

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation