Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Motion Timer

Discussion stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
caser41
Aspirant
Aspirant
Hello. I received 2 Arlo camera system for Christmas. So far I am satisfied with the system with one exception: It doesn't make any difference were I set the timer, it will still only record 9-10 secs of motion. I have searched the 'community' and can not seem to find the answer to this perplexing problem. Please advise" G.L. Smith Model: Arlo wireless 2 camera system Firmware: 2.0.1 730_1137 OS: OSX 10 El Capitan 10.11.2 Both Camera's are outside. Thank You
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Try this;

Go to MODE, click on current mode so list shows up

( we'll use ARMED as example )

Go to ARMED, click edit pencil

Pick camera and click on EDIT

go to second section "then do the following " click on the edit pencil in record

set the lenght of time, click BACK button at top

Once you go back one level at bottom of page is CANCEL or SAVE ( click save )

Now you can exit out and new setting saved.  ( must be done for each camera )

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

You are saying you reset the lenght of record time in the settings AND saved?? This must be done for each camera .

If you did and when you go back , do the settings still retain the longer time set?

Try a power button reset of the base and see if that helps

caser41
Aspirant
Aspirant

TomMac wrote:

You are saying you reset the lenght of record time in the settings AND saved?? This must be done for each camera .

If you did and when you go back , do the settings still retain the longer time set?

Try a power button reset of the base and see if that helps

Hi ..  I should reply here I guess.

I go in and set the length of the record time from 10 secs to 30 secs or any other time.  I do not see where to save it or a button to do so, but if I go out and come back in, it is still set at the new settings.  Perhaps I am missing something?  

And yes, Morse Code is faster than typing!

Thanks for your help.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Try this;

Go to MODE, click on current mode so list shows up

( we'll use ARMED as example )

Go to ARMED, click edit pencil

Pick camera and click on EDIT

go to second section "then do the following " click on the edit pencil in record

set the lenght of time, click BACK button at top

Once you go back one level at bottom of page is CANCEL or SAVE ( click save )

Now you can exit out and new setting saved.  ( must be done for each camera )

caser41
Aspirant
Aspirant

TomMac.  I believe the 'save' step is what I missed.  It should work now.  Thank you for your expertise..

caser41
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi TomMac.  Coming back to you again for more advice.  Here is the story.  If I turn on 'armed', the camera's record to my new setting times.  However if I have it 'scheduled' (in my case midnight to 6a.m) it will only record for the 10 secs or so.  For example: the paperboy comes around 4a.m.  the motion detector picks him up coming up the drive way, and records for 10 secs. He disappears out of site for about 4 secs or so, the motion stops at 10secs.  When he leaves the mail box, no motion is picked up even though he goes back the same way.  Hope you can understand & this makes sense to you.

Problem #2:  A vehicle will drive by, and all I get is the rear of the vehicle disappearing out of the frame. ??  I guess I could get around this by getting another camera & having it start up a second one.

I would like to think it is me a the root cause of these problems, and not the camera, I would hate to have to get other camera's.

Thanks for the help...

Joe

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Here is the story.  If I turn on 'armed', the camera's record to my new setting times.  However if I have it 'scheduled' (in my case midnight to 6a.m) it will only record for the 10 secs or so.

If your saying you have the record time set for 30 sec but if that MODE isused in the  schedule it only records for 10... I don't have a clue !

Tho i can say that defualt time to record is 10 seconds... so I would start by confirming the times are set properly .

A vehicle will drive by, and all I get is the rear of the vehicle disappearing out of the frame. ??  I guess I could get around this by getting another camera & having it start up a second one.

The most common problem I see with outside cams is the user trying to cover to much area... add to that a start up delay of anywhere from 1-5 secs for people, you only get the tail end of action ( start up time is a big variable ... I get 1-2 sec max , others say they get 3-5 ...amybe a lot to do with range, interference, etc )
I've found the detect distance is best is about 20ft max... and the PIR is more sensitive on the outer edges ( ie cross motion ) so maybe re think what you trying to do... Yes you can use one camera to detect and record on a second cam and in some cases it works really well ... YMMV .

caser41
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi TomMac.  Here is where I am at now.  When I first set up the cameras, the timers were at 10 sec.  My next step was to set a schedule which happened to be midnight to 0600hrs.  Ok later I changed the timer to 20 or 30 secs.  It made no difference to the time when recording on the times I set.  So today (Sunday) I made sure the timers were set at 30 secs.  And set another schedule, lo and behold it worked.  So I have deleted my 2400 - to 0600 time and reset them.  I am thinking that may solve my problem.  Here's hoping. 

Thanks for letting me use you as a sounding board.

Joe

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

A possibility is that your old modes and schedule was transferred via the recent update.  There have been various problems with the old modes that have been fixed by creting new ones.  Don't know why, just is.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Yes, I deleted all my old modes and created new ones that were the same BUT it made a diff in how reactive the cams were ...esp in nested modes

Discussion stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation