Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Motion Detection Not Working

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
rdbishop
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have two Arlo Wire Free cameras connected via my NightHawk router.  One camera was purchased along with the base station which I do not use and the second camera was purchased as an add on.  One of the cameras will not detect motion at all.  It will not detect motion either in armed mode or motion detection test mode.  I can wave my hand directly in front of the camera and nothing at all happens.  The camera itself works but motion detection is non-existent.  The camera is just a couple of weeks old and has already gone through two sets of batteries.  The original batteries only showed about half charged when I received the camera but the second set were fully charged.  When the camera sent me a message saying the batteries needed to be replaced, the batteries were at 2.65 volts.

6 REPLIES 6
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

This sounds like the camera is struggling to maintain connection to the base due to distance, blockage from walls, etc., or other wireless interference.  That will cause rapid battery draining as well as the inability to record.  Can you live view and does it look good or blocky/jerky?

Try swapping the cameras to see if the problem follows the camera or the location.  If it's the camera, create a trouble ticket for possible RMA or, if within the exchange period for the store you purchased it from, consider such an exchange.

rdbishop
Aspirant
Aspirant

The problem definitely follows the camera.  I can have the camera that is having problems located in the same room with the router and it will not detect motion.  I actually noticed the problem straight out of the box but it later worked and now is not working.  The camera  itself is working fine.  It will take perfectly fine videos when initiated manually.  The problem is strictly related to motion detection.  The camera was purchased on Amazon.  I no longer have all the packing materials.  It was purchased along with a base station which has never been openend.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

If it's within Amazon's exchange period, you may be able to work out an advance exchange so you have the packaging. Otherwise you'll need to create a trouble ticket for an RMA.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

rdbishop,

Please contact the Arlo Support Team to further investigate this issue. You will find several options for contacting support in the provided link. If you have any additional questions/concerns feel free to private message me. I would be happy to help.

JamesC

PT31
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hello ,

I have purchased the 4 camera and base station last december thinking of having security monitoring but it does not work as it is advertized for motion detaction. I have spent enormous time with there support team to fix the issue but they are the another west of time. after doing some reasearch i found that motion detaction is a real product bug where in the way IR sensor works in the out side environemnt.

when i contacted the arlo support team to fix this lag issue which reported by many other person in many thread. but i think they are not willing to listen that there is a product bug. I have reported it now to BBB to help me with issue as i am out of the retrun policy and netgear is not willing to take the retrun nor willing to fix the issue.

so i would say if you are having the same issue open up a BBB case and if many people open the case against netgear they will realize that there is a issue with the product.

Thanks ,

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

PT31,

I have reviewed your case and it appears the issue you are describing is still being investigated by the support team. I encourage you to continue working toward a resolution with the support team.

JamesC

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation