Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Missed recording

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
bstamper
Aspirant
Aspirant

So last night my son and I returned home.  Before ariving I validated Arlo was on and set to record with motion.  However, we both came into the house, walked past the camera and nothing was recorded.  The sensitivity was at 80 (default).  I figured this much motion would surely catch it.  I did get a recording that started after I walked back into the field of view to shut off a light later but nothing of us coming in the house and heading upstairs.  Thats 2 people walking completely through the field of view and my son even turned on a light in the mud room but otherwise it was dark.

I want to post a replica video I made but seems you can only post a video link.  So here is the picture. 

We started in the (mud room) top left of the picture where the entrance from the garage is. Both of us walked Through the kitchen past the Fridge, Island, Table and headed down that hallway to the front door where we went around and headed upstairs.  Thats a lot of movement.  The distance from the camera to the wall (doorway) by the fridge is 25'.  The distance we were at the closest would have been around 12 or 13 feet by the kitchen table.  In the replica test I did this morning (in the light) I turned the sensitivity up to 100. It did catch me but only started recording as I was already about at the end of the island by the table.  I understand a few seconds of delay to detect and at least I got something.  This camera position is perfect as it catches the only 4 main entrances to my home on the first floor (Front door, Garage door, deck door, and anything coming up from the basement).  The video of the coverage area is good as well as you can see from the pic.  Just curious if anyone has any thoughts or ideas.  I'm going to do another test tonight when it is dark.

1461510791713.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

No, you have to share..... 🙂

BTW, shared vids also only last 24 hrs and then expire

Ok.. i see you paths and what you want.... camera placemant looks good.

Two things,

1) if able swap a camera to make sure ( use same settings ) its not the camera  , tho I would think not but good to cover bases

2) use the pan zoom feature to shrink the view by 10-15 % and then re adjust the camera for the best view again... it's a trick that seems to work in that nothing of the delay changes but the appearace of it does ( because motion is detected before actual view now cropped so it looks like faster response )

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Hang on - the snapshot isn't visible yet. In the future, use the camera to record a video or snapshot, gl the the library and view that shot. There's a sharing icon you can use to copy the link to that shot so you can paste it in a message here so we can see it immediately.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

I run most of my cameras in the 92% range

bstamper
Aspirant
Aspirant

Link here:

Ignore the Ugly actor I hired for this 😛

Re-enactment of walk path: https://arlo.netgear.com/hmsweb/users/library/share/link/3DC91EE1CC551269

Video recording after setting motion to 100 in daylight: https://arlo.netgear.com/hmsweb/users/library/share/link/9A3710A039DF5924

Please tell me every video doesn't get a link like this automatically and is shared?  You have to click share and actually share it right?

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

No, you have to share..... 🙂

BTW, shared vids also only last 24 hrs and then expire

Ok.. i see you paths and what you want.... camera placemant looks good.

Two things,

1) if able swap a camera to make sure ( use same settings ) its not the camera  , tho I would think not but good to cover bases

2) use the pan zoom feature to shrink the view by 10-15 % and then re adjust the camera for the best view again... it's a trick that seems to work in that nothing of the delay changes but the appearace of it does ( because motion is detected before actual view now cropped so it looks like faster response )

bstamper
Aspirant
Aspirant

Perfect.  Today, During the day the change to the motion detection made a great difference.  I did a bunch of testing and it seems to work well.  Will test now that its dark tonight.  Other than the area in the hallway by the front door which is to be expected.  Thats 25 feet away and movement is more to/from the FOV rather than across it.  

I don't have any additional camera to test with now.  I bought this just to see how well this worked.  Didn't wanna dump 500+ into it to have something that didn't work.  But, based on what I've seen so far I'll likely buy 3 more cameras.

One  I will put outside the front door.  Door to the right down the hall in the video that would detect motion of anyone coming up to the door and maybe in the driveway a little bit.

One I will put in the garage to watch the garage door entering the house.

One I will put in the basement to watch the egress window.

Debating about getting one for the Deck that would show the deck and Basement Egress window.

I'll likely setup the monitoring to start recording on all cameras  when motion is detected to see how it works.  

Very much appreciate the responses here!

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation