Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Limiting Motion Sensing Area Within View

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
hardingr2000
Guide
Guide

Is there a way, as I have seen on other video surveillance cameras, to specify the areas within the camera's view as the more important areas in which to sense motion?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

The PIR is the small dark button by the lens, behind it is the electronic device  (passive infrared sensor) that detects IR or the reflection of same

It is the device that triggers motion recordings

FOV is field of view...what the lens can see or your picture.

The PIR on the ALRO cams covers the entire FOV and can't be changed...even if you shrink the picture with pan/zoom, the PIR still senses the entire picture.

The delay is prob not from the PIR but more of a delay from starting the camera up from detect mode to sending trigger to base then the upload to internet,

My delay is usu 1-2 seconds but many claim more... each case due to conditions can be different. So sometimes an object , like a bird, will triggger the camera but be gone before the recording starts.

Trial and error in setup and good planning as to location will lower the delay making the camera work well.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Withe the Q cameras, yes. The wireless cameras use a PIR that simply senses motion in it's FOV with no way to define zones. You could be creative and make a physical mask but generally the solution is proper aiming of the camera so extraneous areas aren't present in the view. Of course, that's not always possible.

hardingr2000
Guide
Guide

Not certain what PIR or FOV but I am guessing PIR has something to do with infrared and FOV is field of view. I have a basic understanding now between the wireless and the Q cameras.

Is the PIR absolutely limited to the FOV? I ask this because sometimes the camera records a clip but I never see anything moving.

What is the delay between the PIR sensing motion and the start of recording?

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

The PIR is the small dark button by the lens, behind it is the electronic device  (passive infrared sensor) that detects IR or the reflection of same

It is the device that triggers motion recordings

FOV is field of view...what the lens can see or your picture.

The PIR on the ALRO cams covers the entire FOV and can't be changed...even if you shrink the picture with pan/zoom, the PIR still senses the entire picture.

The delay is prob not from the PIR but more of a delay from starting the camera up from detect mode to sending trigger to base then the upload to internet,

My delay is usu 1-2 seconds but many claim more... each case due to conditions can be different. So sometimes an object , like a bird, will triggger the camera but be gone before the recording starts.

Trial and error in setup and good planning as to location will lower the delay making the camera work well.

Morse is faster than texting!
hardingr2000
Guide
Guide
Is it possible that the PIR covers more than the FOV? For instance a dog not in the FOV, but near the FOV.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I think that's a distinct possibility. The problem is quantifying it - how big an object, how far away, how far out of the FOV?

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation