Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 13 Replies
  • 15 Likes
  • 11 In Conversation
FlaNative
Follower
Follower

Is there any way to shorten the delay before the camera starts recording?  For the most part the camera doesn't record movement because it is already out of the view of the camera by the time the camera is ready to record..

13 REPLIES 13
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

This seems to be one of the most asked questions...

Some people have more delay than others. There are a few threads on this subject and I recommend reading thru them.

Stock answer is 1) increase your sensivity a small amount at a time 2) camera placement to allow better movement thru PIR sensor.

Read;

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Arlo-Knowledge-Base/How-do-I-adjust-motion-sensitivity/ta-p/41

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Arlo-Knowledge-Base/How-do-I-place-my-Arlo-camera/ta-p/37

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
Noel_Flantier
Tutor
Tutor

You can try to increase the sensibility motion. By default it's 80% per rules, try 100%

Could be because of your upstream connection (as Arlo requires 1Mbps to work well). Is the camera outdoor, indoor ? could be the temperature.

Also maybe the angle of the camera is not good for the location. Can be a lot of things!

Hula_Rock
Prodigy Prodigy
Prodigy

Noel_Flantier wrote:

You can try to increase the sensibility motion. By default it's 80% per rules, try 100%

Could be because of your upstream connection (as Arlo requires 1Mbps to work well). Is the camera outdoor, indoor ? could be the temperature.

Also maybe the angle of the camera is not good for the location. Can be a lot of things!

I have a 1gig dedicated pipe to my house and still get horrible delay.

Temperature ?  I havle already BUSTED that Myth, has nothing to do with it.....

JPC
Prodigy
Prodigy
It could be related to faulty App, firmware, Netgear Server or your ISP.. Take your pick..
M106191
Tutor
Tutor
This delay has nothing to do with setup at all. I have everything optimized 100% (extremely fast speed, motion sensitivity set to 100%, cameras placed perfectly, and cameras placed very close to Arlo receiver.. There is a 2 to 3 second delay before the cameras awaken and begin recording.., unfortunately for faster moving objects such as a person walking quickly you miss much of the needed recording to identify the person! I have called Netgear and there engineers simply are refusing to acknowledge this fault in design... As an ex engineering manager for United Technologies Corporation, I can say that until the Netgear engineering team FIRST admits this is a significant problem the issue obviously will never be addressed.

IN MY OPINION THIS IS THE SINGLE MOST SIGNIFICANT ISSUE THAT REALLY TAKES AWAY FROM THE ARLO SYSTEM. I wish the Arlo team would fix this or at least reduce it to at least 1 second!
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

It's my decidedly unofficial opinion that the delay is caused by the servers being so far away from many users. I did a traceroute a month ago (-ish) and there were significant delays in several connections with the end point being in Europe (Amazon servers). Transcontinental communications will never be as fast as more local connections, especially since it's bidirectional so each way gets delays.

If this is truly the case, the only "fix" is to have servers at least on each continent, perhaps multiple ones spread out.

Hmmm...  Maybe this is already in place.  I just did another traceroute to see if the issues are the same.  Here's the results:

tracert netgear.com

Tracing route to netgear.com [54.200.99.0]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms router.asus.com [192.168.10.1]
2 35 ms 27 ms 73 ms cpe-24-93-16-1.rochester.res.rr.com [24.93.16.1]
3 24 ms 21 ms 21 ms tge0-0-1.hnrtnyaf01h.northeast.rr.com [24.93.8.150]
4 11 ms 12 ms 10 ms be21.rochnyei02r.northeast.rr.com [24.58.44.42]
5 10 ms 11 ms 15 ms be28.rochnyei01r.northeast.rr.com [24.58.32.74]
6 29 ms 27 ms 27 ms bu-ether25.chcgildt87w-bcr00.tbone.rr.com [107.14.19.28]
7 73 ms 75 ms 73 ms bu-ether11.snvacaid17w-bcr00.tbone.rr.com [66.109.6.14]
8 73 ms 74 ms 72 ms 0.ae0.pr0.sjc20.tbone.rr.com [66.109.6.139]
9 72 ms 74 ms 71 ms 24.27.236.55
10 91 ms 93 ms 91 ms 205.251.229.34
11 91 ms 92 ms 91 ms 205.251.232.118
12 93 ms 92 ms 94 ms 205.251.232.83
13 91 ms 93 ms 95 ms 205.251.232.205
14 94 ms 93 ms 93 ms 54.239.48.185
15 * * * Request timed out.
16 * * * Request timed out.
17 * * * Request timed out.
18 92 ms 91 ms 93 ms ec2-54-200-99-0.us-west-2.compute.amazonaws.com [54.200.99.0]

Trace complete.

Sorry for the formatting - nothing much I can do.  Note that this particular attempt shows the Amazon server to be in the US, somewhere in the west.

Paxton
Initiate
Initiate

This guy knows his stuff and it appears Netgear needs to hire some technical support.  I just purchased a -4 - camera system and have the same issues as some other with the scheduling.  Good thing I bought from a retailer that will take it back.  Not very impressed with this system at all.  I will run it till the batteries die and see how the life on them last and I have till Jan to return.

M106191 wrote:
This delay has nothing to do with setup at all. I have everything optimized 100% (extremely fast speed, motion sensitivity set to 100%, cameras placed perfectly, and cameras placed very close to Arlo receiver.. There is a 2 to 3 second delay before the cameras awaken and begin recording.., unfortunately for faster moving objects such as a person walking quickly you miss much of the needed recording to identify the person! I have called Netgear and there engineers simply are refusing to acknowledge this fault in design... As an ex engineering manager for United Technologies Corporation, I can say that until the Netgear engineering team FIRST admits this is a significant problem the issue obviously will never be addressed.

IN MY OPINION THIS IS THE SINGLE MOST SIGNIFICANT ISSUE THAT REALLY TAKES AWAY FROM THE ARLO SYSTEM. I wish the Arlo team would fix this or at least reduce it to at least 1 second!

JohnThompson
Initiate
Initiate
I can leave my house, start car, organize coffee, back out of garage and drive down street and Arlo records my back bumper driving out of view. Result is now TWO car break ins where thieves empties my BOB gear before cameras began to record. I now have a great HD quality video of Sheriff taking report. He walked slowly. This delay MUST be shortened. I am adding a duplicate parallel system as backup to Arlo.
JohnThompson
Initiate
Initiate
The thieves can empty my car faster than Arlo can initiate record process.
M106191
Tutor
Tutor
I have a fast internet connection and there is always a 1 second delay before cameras kick in. If your delay is longer then reposition the cameras so the height and distance from the camera to object is optimized for the motion detection sensor on camera. The website of Netgear has setup information on this about positioning your cameras.
supaflyz
Guide
Guide
I have about a 1 to 2 seconds max delay. I position them so that the object has to cross the view of the camera not direct on. I have about 2 mpbs upload.
Pet1700
Apprentice
Apprentice
To fix the delay issue... Have each camera trigger recording on your other cameras as well... This way, if the first misses something, the others will not as they will be recording already as the subject enters the scene... Just an idea...
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I'd love to be able to do this with my one wireless camera and a Q camera pointed at my idiot neighbors. Unfortunately, there's no way to cross the divide between the different cameras.

And, yes, I've submitted the idea and it has a bunch of kudos.

Discussion stats
  • 13 Replies
  • 15 Likes
  • 11 In Conversation