Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

How to record until motion detection stops?

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 4 In Conversation
hbradley1372
Follower
Follower

We just bought and installed an Arlo system, and have a question about the rules.

I see that when motion is detected, you can record for a specific length of time (10 seconds up to 120 seconds).  However, is there a way to set up a rule that says "Record everything until the motion detection stops"?

If there is more than two minutes of activity, we want to make sure everything gets recorded.  Thanks!

6 REPLIES 6
WernerS
Star
Star

I have the excat same question. The recording basically simply stops after the configured time although motion is still going on. Isn't the idea to see all motion?

I too would want the recording continue as long as motion is sensed.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

You set a time period. If that time criteria is met, recording is stopped. If adequate motion still exists another recording will start with a blank between the two recordings. One way to minimize this is to lengthen the recording time to capture the whole event.

WernerS
Star
Star

I can't confirm that behaviour. All I see is one time video shot even motion is still very active in front of the camera. No new recoding starts until minutes after video stops.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

There has to be enough motion in a cross direction for it to be detected. For instance, if the initial motion was detected at the top of the frame moving left to right, but that motion becomes to or from the camera, more or less directly, motion may not be detected any more than it would have been in the first place given the direction of motion. Detection works best across the field of  view, perhaps at the edges.

jnatwood
Initiate
Initiate

I've had the system for about two weeks and have been trying to figure out the same thing. I too have been unable to get the system to consistently record an additional video if motion is still present after the time period expires. I've been happy with the system otherwise, but this needs to be addressed in an update.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

It's all about positioning and angle, trial and error.  Given the existing detection hardware, a firmware update likely isn't going to change things - it certainly hasn't in the past year. Maximizing the chance for detection requires motion across the FOV with the edges seeming to be most sensitive.  You may also be able to use two cameras with rules that allow motion on one to trigger another (assuming you have two cameras in relatively the same location).

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 4 In Conversation