Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Geofencing

Discussion stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 5 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation
TNVOL1111
Guide
Guide

Would like to know how to set up Geofencing where it turns ON when both myself and my wife leave the area. As it is now it turns on when I leave the area but she is still home despite her Arlo App being set to have Location Services turned ON. So the Geofencing needs to turn ON only when both cell phones leave the area. Is there a way to do this?

9 REPLIES 9
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Not currently.  Hopefully it will be added soon - lots of comments about this.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

TNVOL1111,

Is her device enabled in the geofencing settings? Log in to your Arlo account and click Mode > select your base station > click the pencil icon next to Geofencing > check enabled devices. Also be sure the app is running in the background on her phone so that her location updates.

Jamesc

TNVOL1111
Guide
Guide

JamesC wrote:

TNVOL1111,

Is her device enabled in the geofencing settings? Log in to your Arlo account and click Mode > select your base station > click the pencil icon next to Geofencing > check enabled devices. Also be sure the app is running in the background on her phone so that her location updates.

Jamesc

I have checked her IPhone to enable it and I also checked Location Services ON for her IPhone and the Arlo App.

But still when I leave the house with the Geofencing Mode turned ON, then the Arlo system arms when I leave. It doesn't seem to sense that she is still home. I will check again to make sure the above settings but I did click to enable her device the other device.

TNVOL1111
Guide
Guide

Checked again and both of our IPhones are activated for Geofencing, have Location Services turned ON, and have WiFi and Cellular both turned ON. The AWAY mode is all Arlo camera's ARMED and the HOME mode is a schedule where the Arlo camera's are turned on late at night.

But when I leave the Geofencing area I get a notification that the Geofencing has turned the Arlo into AWAY mode which is the all camera's ARMED. My wife is still home though so it is arming when I leave the zone and not recognizing that she is still at home with her IPhone.

So if this is the way the Geofencing Mode works, then it is only usefull for a single person at a residence and where the system arms when that person leaves the Geofencing area. Not usefull for a family or more than one person living where the Arlo system is in place.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

I have forwarded these topics to the beta team for review. Geofencing is still a beta feature and will see more updates in the future.

Some users have reported refreshing their enabled devices (toggle enabled devices off, save, and then toggle back on) has helped with the issue being discussed here.

JamesC

matunos
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have the exact same issue as the OP here, and can add an extra detail:

The other day when my wife was home but I was not, I checked in the Arlo App under Mode->[Base Station]->Geofencing->[Edit]->Enabled Devices and it showed my wife's device as "In Zone" (whereas mine was "Out of Zone"), but the Geofencing Mode was still set to Armed.

Thus, it seems some Arlo service knows that my wife's device was within the geofence, but the geofencing mode did not get updated accordingly.

TNVOL1111
Guide
Guide

The Geofencing Mode works right now ONLY if you are in a house by yourself with no one else there. As soon as you leave the area, the Geofencing Mode arms the system even if you have others in your household attached to the Arlo system thru their IPhones. I can leave the area and Arlo recognizes that my wife is still in the zone, but arms anyway. So not usefull right now unless both of you leave the zone or if you are the only one on the system.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

matunos, TNVOL1111

Consider refreshing your enabled devices within Geofencing settings. Disable all listed devices, save and then enable the devices again.

Also be sure you do not log out or force close the Arlo app. For Geofencing to work the app must be logged in and open on the mobile device.

JamesC

CristianJP
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi,  can't get my geofence to work either.   My geofence devices are showing as "unavailable".  Interesting point is that one of the two phones was showing as "in zone" before my attempts to resolve the issue with the other phone,  effectively made both phones unavailable. 

My steps were to disable both phone devices,  save the geofence mode,  then enable and save again.  Restart both phones,  and reset my arlo devices.

Any ideas or suggestions? 

Discussion stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 5 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation