Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Geofencing + Scheduling + Camera On/Off

Discussion stats
  • 13 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 8 In Conversation
GreatHornedOwl
Tutor
Tutor

I would like:

1. To be able to have Geofencing AND Schedule modes active simultaneously. So that, for example: my system arms when I leave the house as well as at night while I sleep.

To expand on this and make the system PERFECT for me, I would really like:

2. To be able to control Camera On/Off for individual cameras as part of the Mode settings. So that, for example: when I leave the house, geofencing turns all cameras on and arms the system. When I return home, geofencing disarms the system AND turns off my interior cameras. When I go to bed, scheduling activates Sleepytime which turns on selected interior cameras (the exterior ones are already on) and arms the system. In the morning, scheduling disarms the system and turns off those selected interior cameras.

That's the Arlo system that I would cheer about from the rooftops.

Thanks!

13 REPLIES 13
satcom
Aspirant
Aspirant

I came here looking to see if I could do this exact thing. 

I have three interior cameras and one exterior camera. I want my exterior camera to be Active motion 24/7. I want my three interior cameras to be Geofenced with Scheduling. Being able to set modes on cameras individually or in groups would be perfect for me. 

GeordieDan
Star
Star

I think you can achieve all of this already, it just needs a little extra thought.

Set your active mode to Geofencing - default "away" mode has all cameras active, recording 24/7
Set your geofencing "home" mode to be schedule, then have your usual daytime slots when you might pop home as "recording disabled indoors / outdoor cams still record (if needed)"*, and the time slots for your usual bedtimes til morning to have recording activated on the required cameras.

I have this setup and it works pretty well

* - you create a custom mode to do this by the way - I have one caled "outdoor cams on" which disables interior cam and records external, and you just select that in your schedule

GreatHornedOwl
Tutor
Tutor

Thank you. Your suggestion does get me closer to what I need.

BUT what I still need is to be able to completely disable a camera as part of my mode settings, not just disable its motion sensing. I share my feed with my brother—when I'm at home, indoors, I want my cameras off, the way they are off when you select Settings... My Devices... [camera name]... Camera On/Off. Currently, near as I can tell, you can only control motion sensing and recording as part of mode settings.

satcom
Aspirant
Aspirant

How do you select a custom mode in schedule? I only see a way to schedule all of my cameras to be on or off. I don't see a way to schedule individual cameras or select a custom mode.

GeordieDan
Star
Star

In the schedule timetable windows for each time slot it says "mode", and you can pick any of your custom modes there along with which days and times to activate it. This is on my iOS app anyway.

For your 'off' requirement - is that because your brother could technically log in, then click 'view live' and spy on you?  Because if he has access to do that, he has access to change the mode on the camera and re-enable it anyway, with no audit trail of him having done it.

motion off/recording off is as good as 'off' for most folk I'd imagine!

I reckon you'd be better off disabling your bro's access to the live feed, and maybe restricting him to receiving the alert emails that let you view a recorded incident (no password/login required)

GreatHornedOwl
Tutor
Tutor

Yes, it is to prevent spying, or more like inadvertant stumbling onto private at-home time. (I also have access to the feed from his weekend place.) We are using the shared feed feature but we have not granted each other Allow Access Rights. So we can not activate or deactivate each other's cameras, we can just get alerts and view live.

My brother and I love and trust each other completely, and yet we still want to ensure privacy when we are in our own homes. We want the electronic equivalent of closing the door of a room when we're in it.

GeordieDan
Star
Star

Kinda like an electronic sock on a door handle - I like it Smiley Very Happy

GreatHornedOwl
Tutor
Tutor

Well, not that we have cams in our bedrooms. But even when we're in our living rooms watching TV, living life. If I'm home doing that, I don't need him (or a hacker?) to see that, no matter the intent.

Nephs
Aspirant
Aspirant

It would be great to be able to combine Geofencing and Scheduling as another mode. For example, when the last person leaves the house then Geofencing activates and when someone returns, it deactivates as expected.

However, I would like to schedule the cameras I have to activate from 1am automaitcally once everyone has gone to bed without me having to go into the app and switch from Geofencing to armed.

Thanks

JCG91626
Aspirant
Aspirant

Geofencing is a great feature although it occasionally misses my wife's cell phone being out of zone. I have created two modes, At Home and Away, that I let geofencing switch between. It would be nice if geofencing could automatically toggle between daytime and nighttime At Home submodes with different camera settings.

rabidhyena
Tutor
Tutor

"In the schedule timetable windows for each time slot it says "mode", and you can pick any of your custom modes there along with which days and times to activate it. This is on my iOS app anyway."

This I cannot find

2imkers
Aspirant
Aspirant

So I selected Geofencing with "use schedule" as home mode. I see I can't select both the schedule I set up for nighttime monitoring AND geofencing, so how do I know if this setup is actually working? Other than walking past a camera at night, I guess that should do it.

dbahd56
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have an ongoing problem with someone accessing my 'phone and getting into my Arlo sight.  I just noticed that Scheduling is now another mode that has been activated.Because of what I am experiencing with this relative,  i do not want the scheduling feature.  Because he can get in to the Arlo sight, that means he can

schedulel an arm and disarm without my approval right  Please let me know how to

deactivate that feature.

Barb

Discussion stats
  • 13 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 8 In Conversation