Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Driveway Motion notification

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
Dmagen
Follower
Follower

I would like to be notified when a vehicle starts down my long (500 feet) driveway and then have the ability to see the vehicle immediately on my iPhone or iPad. 

Will the Arlo accomplish this?  

If so, which equipment should I purchase? 

Much appreciated. 

2 REPLIES 2
Schorschi
Prodigy
Prodigy

Dmagen wrote:

I would like to be notified when a vehicle starts down my long (500 feet) driveway and then have the ability to see the vehicle immediately on my iPhone or iPad. 

If so, which equipment should I purchase? 

Much appreciated. 

There is an inherent lag within Arlo that will not allow you to do this. By the time a car has triggered a motion event on your camera it will most likely be out of its frame and record nothing.

A workaround is to add a second Arlo Wirefree camera to be triggered when motion is deteced on your first camera. The second camera would be placed so that it would record for your anticipated object to be recorded when it comes into its frame. So, you'd place camera 1 at the beginning of your driveway, and camera 2 several yards further up your driveway, so that the car triggering camera 1 would be in the frame of camera 2.

So, when a motion on camera 1 occurs, and camera 2 starts recording, you won't be able to view camera 2 in real time. Instead you'd have to wait for camera 2 to stop recording before the video clip would appear in your Arlo library.

Of course, you can always override a motion-triggered video recording and view a camera in Live View, but there can be a significant delay in a camera presenting you with live footage, so by the time you were to actually see live footage from camera 2 that you requested, the car may already be in front of your house. At that point you might as well be watching Live View of a third camera that shows you the area in front of your house.

So, you have to realize that Arlo (Wirefree) is riddled with a lag, both in motion-triggered recording as well as Live View watching that may make it impossible for you to achieve what you want. By intelligent placing and programming of cameras along your driveway you may be able to work around this, but it may be more of a hassle than it's worth.

Remember, that Arlo is a motion-triggered camera system. There will always be a lag. So, you may want to look into continously recording systems.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Dmagen wrote:

First of all the range you talking is beyond the distance specs of the Arlo cam.

Spec best distance is 300ft ( Ive run mine to 150ft line of sight , clear shot, but thru home building materials that pushinf it for normal wifi freq/power levels )

Sounds more like you need a long range driveway monitor ( many on ebay/amazon for less than $50 that will do the above distance )

With the driveway monitor you could easily check out one of the arlo cameras manually to see whos approaching... I also think the Q cam may be better suited with it's better pixel base detection and pre-record buffer.

Or, you could use a wired camera with power over coax for those distances to a small monitor ( direct bury coax )

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation