Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 20 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 8 In Conversation
thaweatherman
Star
Star

There was a request for the outdoor cameras to support zones and you added it to the indoor cameras. With the release of the Arlo Pro, there really is no need any more for the Arlo Q. Does it support zones like the Q? I'm sick of having trees set off my cameras, killing my batteries off faster than needed.

20 REPLIES 20
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I can't tell for sure but it doesn't appear to support zones after reading through various FAQs and docs.  The motion sensor isn't visibly like the older wireless cameras but I can't tell if it's still a PIR or more like the Q.  From an FAQ at https://community.netgear.com/t5/Arlo-Knowledge-Base/What-new-features-does-Arlo-Pro-offer/ta-p/1145...:

Advanced motion detection sensor

• With their improved motion sensing range, Arlo Pro Wire-Free cameras can detect motion up to 23 feet away.
  • Arlo Pro Wire-Free cameras respond to motion almost instantly, so you get the clearest possible recording of whatever triggered the motion alert.

It would be best to read the documentation and FAQs for most answers.

thaweatherman
Star
Star

It seems odd that they wouldn't have zones available yet since the Nest outdoor cameras allow for it.

Nest also has a well documented API. It would be great if Netgear would actually document the API.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Do the Nest cameras use a PIR detector?

thaweatherman
Star
Star

Capture.PNG

That would be a yes.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I certainly don't know details but it would seem to be a segmented detector so only certain sections can be active. That's only a SWAG, though.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

The Arlo Q and Q plus, as wired devices with constant streaming capabilities, both support Activity Zones. The Arlo Pro, being a battery operated design using PIR, does not allow this. For zoning options, we encourage you to look into the Arlo Q or Arlo Q Plus solutions.

JamesC

thaweatherman
Star
Star

PIR can't really be the excuse since Nest does it with a PIR, according to them.

The whole point of zone detection is for outside use, and Arlo Q can't be used outside.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Without knowing more about Nest's implementation of the PIR, we're all guessing.

As for the Q cameras, they work well through a window as long as you disable night vision.

CJ180
Star
Star

CJ180
Star
Star
I don't see why smart zone functionality can't be done in the cloud.

I know that the Arlo Pro is in sleep mode most of the time to save battery and then when activity is sensed by the PIR the camera is woken to start recording (apparently within 150nano seconds with the Arlo Pro). Once the camera is woken and it starts sending images to the Arlo servers the images will be analysed for humans/dogs/cars whatever and then the object detection will decide whether to send an alert or record etc. I don't see why setting a smart zone can't be done in the cloud at the same time as the object detection. This way we will still get smart zone detection but the cameras do not have to be on 24/7. This could be a software upgrade/solution done at the server end.

Just an idea for Netgear to consider if they haven't already.
CJ180
Star
Star
I also can't see why this activity zone functionality couldn't added to the current Arlo wire-free as it doesn't depend on hardware.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Put that way, yes, I agree it could be possible on the server end. Maybe contact Nest again and ask if that's how they do it?

thaweatherman
Star
Star

"As for the Q cameras, they work well through a window as long as you disable night vision."

Then you have the distortion of trying to use a camera through glass, and an inability to see things outside at night.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Obviously, that's a potential issue but when you position the camera as close as possible to the glass and square it up, there isn't much of a problem.  Maybe in an old house with original, wavy glass that would be true but I've had no issue with newer windows (probably 1950s or '60s).

rg2fwd
Initiate
Initiate

If Netgear is working on facial recognition and smart analytics, let's hope they move quickly and fix this.  I'm near a road, a sidewalk, and streetlights casting shadows as cars go by.  I need to zone out all the noisy parts of the Arlo Pro FOV.  It's unusable as a motion detector/alarm until they get some smarts in it. 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

It's not shadows, per se, but the amount of IR given off or reflected by any person or other object.  Eliminating those from the camera's view helps.  A few folks have also used small pieces of tape to mask the PIR's view to eliminate cars from tripping the motion detection.  That was easier on the original cameras where the PIR is in plain view - with the Pro cameras, some investigation would be needed to make it work.

TopQuark
Aspirant
Aspirant

Pls add me to the list to have Arlo Pro support zones. Covering the whole area kiils the battery faster.  If it can be done on the Q series, it should be easy to implement on the wireless outdoor equivalents.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Motion detection methods of the wireless and Q cameras is totally different.  The Q uses pixel-based detection so zones are implemented.  The wireless cameras use passive IR detectors which see the whole scene so detecion zones are problematic.  We've been told that zones on the wireless cameras won't ever happen.

Patrick_S
Aspirant
Aspirant

James, With the "Coming Soon" power cord for the Arlo Pro wireless cameras would that allow for Zones since the cameras would have constant power and would no longer rely on battery? I have placed power outlets in the eves of my house everywhere I have placed an Arlo Pro. I would think this would be doable with a firmware and software upgrade to the cameras.

georgebalanchin
Tutor
Tutor

Yes, Arlo Pro supports zones and it was the main aspect that helped me to make the right decision in the Arlo Pro vs Nest Cam Outdoor battle. 

The zones of Arlo Pro are easy to setup and it rarely makes mistakes.

Discussion stats
  • 20 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 8 In Conversation