Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Can I use two base stations to extend range?

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 7 In Conversation
David26th
Follower
Follower
I have some coverage issues. I have bought the Arlo starter pack however I find range is an issue (if there’s ever a nuclear attack you’d be safe in my house - I swear it’s led lined)

I’ve read that I can extend range with a second base but have a few questions:

1) is this right?
2) can I use one normal and one pro base on the same network for this?
3) does the second base need to have an Ethernet connection to it as well as the first?
6 REPLIES 6
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

1) yes, it is the onlt real way to extend coverage

2) yes, all Arlo,Pro,Pro2 cams work with either base

3) yes, all bases need an ethernet connection , tho it can be an ethernet port on a wifi extender

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
SteveDT
Star
Star

Combined with the Negear Orbi system and 2 Arlo Routers, I have 5 cameras extended over an acre of property.  Works like a charm!

Teamcasa
Aspirant
Aspirant

After reading that I can have two base stations, I bought a second one but when I go to "Add Device" if fails to add.

Help.

Kmedas
Aspirant
Aspirant
As I was told I just bought 2 more cameras and it came with another base and that was the first thought I had if two was better than one and I called arlo and she said the base is just the brain of the cameras not signal your internet is your signal. Any thoughts
evaredy
Star
Star

That is what I would have thought as well, that the internet connection is the signal to the cameras. But I guess it must be the Base Station that is sending the signal and the internet connection is only for the cloud storage.

russthammer
Aspirant
Aspirant

alot of this would depend on  the model, but from what i understand this shouldnt be true in most cases. I have the base arlo system with 4 cameras (about 2 years old). The base station does provide the wireless signal to the cameras and then the base station connects to the internet. I know this for sure, because my cameras do not get an IP address from my router. 

With that said, devices like the Arlo Q do not require the base station. I would assume this means they connect directly to the internet. In this case, what you were told would be a true statement. 

As far as connecting the two base stations, I only have one, so cant help with that. 

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 7 In Conversation