Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Camera won't stop!!!

Discussion stats
  • 14 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
Whitmore
Aspirant
Aspirant
We mounted our camera out a bedroom window angled towards the front door. We did a few walk by tests and never detected motion. We figured we'd leave it a few hours and see what happened. About an hour later I started receiving motion detection alerts but the videos showed absolutely no movement anywhere. After 50 of these with only one car going by the whole time I started to think maybe the sun heating up only a partial frame of the picture was to blame. Is this possible?

Since then I moved the camera inside, into an empty, low light room with no traffic and have since received 5 notifications of motion detected. It's driving me crazy! We've reset the modem part and taken the batteries in and out just in case that would help.

Any thoughts?
14 REPLIES 14
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I'd just mount it outside where issues of reflection s, etc. don't cause possible problems.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Duplicate deleted due to web server issues.

Whitmore
Aspirant
Aspirant
It was mounted outside and I was having that issue.
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

The sun is a large source of IR.  So I would expect the sun or relection across the sky to hit the sensor and cause notifications... That's why the camera should be aimed properly also including down at an angle.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
JT
Guide
Guide

I am having the same issue with only one camera (out of 5). I mounted it outdoors at about 7 feet up, pointing angled/downward. It constantly "triggered" during dayligt as well as at night.  I moved it indoors, placing it under my desk (where there is NO movement -- not even shadows) and it continues to constantly register motion and send alerts.

Any fixes would be appreciated!

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Any fixes would be appreciated!

Two things I'd check/do... 1) the current version of the camera software 2) try a reset of the camera by opening the battery door for about 10 seconds

the current version of the cam sw is 1.2.2412 ( found at page bottom of SETTINGS>CAMERA SETTINGS>pick camera )

JT
Guide
Guide

Hi Tom,

Thanks for jumping in.

Yep, I've done both. (all cameras are current, not just the twitchy one.) And I cycled power on the Base as well as my router.

Sigh.

JT

P.S. Of course, Morse is faster than texting. Who would think otherwise? 🙂

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

The only other thing I can think of ( your not going to maybe like it ) is a full reset to factory settings... it possible that the camera is stuck on with a glich( as the settings actually reside in the base). 

Also try and reach out to Netgear to give an added info before.

If you do this , you will lose all your schedules and have to resync the cams to the base , just like starting over.

factory reset;

• Perform a factory reset on your base station. 

Push the Reset button (on the back of the base station) and the Sync button (on the side of the base station) for about 10 seconds or until all the LED lights on the base station blink amber. This procedure returns the base station to its factory settings. If your cameras were synced to the base station, you might need to sync the cameras again after the base station comes back online. For more information, see How Do I Set Up And Sync My Arlo Cameras?.

JT
Guide
Guide

Hi Tom,

I aslo thought about the reset option, but haven't done it yet (for all the resons you stated). I have been in touch with Netgear via email. I had already tried all of their suggested "tests" and I am wiating to hear what they suggest next (reset? return? other?).

When I have their final answer, I will post it here so others will know my outcome, in case it will help them.

JT

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

snip

When I have their final answer, I will post it here so others will know my outcome, in case it will help them.

JT

Tks JT...   it may end up being the camera , it will be good to know the cause.

JT
Guide
Guide

For anyone who is having this issue, here are the questions put to me by Netgear Customer Support (via email). You may want to try all of these in case one of them is the fix you require, plus before contacting CS you have the info they need at your first contact.

=========================

Email Reply #1

1. Lower the camera motion sensitivity down to 1% or 5 % and let me know if it still records false positive alerts every 60 seconds.
How do I adjust motion sensitivity?
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Arlo-Knowledge-Base/How-do-I-adjust-motion-sensitivity/ta-p/41

2. Swap the cameras' location. Put the faulty one to the location of the other camera that is working fine. Let me know if the camera still does the same problem.

3. Face the camera to the wall. If it still detects or records motion, then we will conclude that the camera's motion sensitivity is malfunctioning.

I would need the following information, so I can best answer your query:

1. What is the serial number or name of the camera?
2. Was it working fine before?

Email Reply #2

Please remove the camera then re-sync it. Here is how to remove camera from the Arlo account: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Arlo-Knowledge-Base/How-do-I-remove-a-camera-from-my-Arlo-system/ta...

After re-syncing the camera, enable its motion detection by setting the mode to All motion ON and point the camera again at the wall.

If it is still doing the same thing, please provide the following information:

1. Your preferred shipping address
2. Phone number
3. Forward the camera invoice or proof of purchase to

XXXXXXXXXXX

TomMac also suggested a Reset (see above in this thread).

Good luck!

JT

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Good to hear your getting somewhere...

One of the reasons for a full reset (AFTER everything else tried) is that new users make mistakes.

Quite a few times, some have said that the cameras no longer record or stop recording and after q&a, you find out they set up a schedule or edited the rules/modes... the full reset is a pain, but does put the system back to original settings and eliminates a lot of the operator errors. Once this is done, it's easier to target hardware problems.

JT
Guide
Guide

More from Netgear Support.

============================

Email #3

Before performing the troubleshooting below, kindly do a recording with the camera providing false motion detection alerts.

Positioning the Camera:
1. Swap the position of the camera that is sending you false alerts with a camera that is sending you correct alerts. Have the cameras record a video when motion is detected
2. Have the cameras set up side by side with the settings and have the camera record a video when motion is detected.

You could send the links of the videos to us at   XXXXXXXX

============================

The Netgear rep is reviewing my submitted videos today.  I'll keep updating htis thread at important steps!

JT
Guide
Guide

UPDATE:

NETGEAR sent me a replacement camera and I returned the defective one. (There were a few other glitches in between, but that's the bottom line. No other testing, submitting videos,etc.)

We now have 5 cameras working the way we want them to.

JT

Discussion stats
  • 14 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation