Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Breaking up, jerky videos

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
Chicks17
Follower
Follower
In the same day back to back when some people walk by the camera it breaks up. The video will be blurry, jerk around, turn green, & have a delay. The very next mintue it might not do that, why? I don't understand why it only messes up on some people.
3 REPLIES 3
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Just a SWAG but it kinda sounds like there's a weak signal between the camera and base or there's intermittent interference in the 2.4GHz band used by most WiFi as well as the Arlo wireless cameras.  What's the signal strength being displayed on the Cameras tab for your various cameras?  Use a WiFi locater app or computer program to view all WiFi signals and see how many there are, on what channels and their various strengths.  This won't detect other wireless signals such as cordless phones, microwave ovens, etc. that use the same band but it may give you some ideas.

It's also possible that your Internet connection is temporarily busy.  The spec is for a minimum of 1Mbs - use speedtest.net to check your normal speeds.  It may also be that multiple cameras are streaming at the same time, using up bandwidth.  Changing your video quality settings may help or not.

lashandar
Aspirant
Aspirant

My camera has been doing this today, too. Lots of green screens and just really poor quality video. Not very realiable in general though. I was outside for at least two minutes, but it only caught 28 seconds of it.

Earlier today, I changed the record time to 45 seconds and increased the sensitivitiy to 100%. That's when my problems started. It detected motion six times in a space of 30 minutes, plant/shadow movements. These recording times ranged from 5 seconds to 44 seconds.

I've lowered the sensitivity but still have problems. I don't want to lower the record time because it takes it too long to come back on again, if/when it comes back on.

ETA I usually have 2 bars, but occasionally 3 and sometimes one/orange. I'm going to move my camera closer tomorrow; though its current position is the most useful. But of course that's not very useful if the video is crappy.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I'm thinking it's a camera connection issue.  If you're going to try repositioning your cameras, bring them close to the base and see if the video issues disappear.  If so, it's distance/interference/whatever that's causing the issue.  If not, it could be a bad base (if all cameras do it), a bad camera or batteries.

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation