Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo outdoor camera not picking up some motion

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
GRzz
Tutor
Tutor

Hi 

my front camera seems to pick up action ok at the street and also when I walk past the camera, however when im driving into my driveway, it dosent record it.

Not sure why this is, is it a fault ?

3 REPLIES 3
GRzz
Tutor
Tutor

Heres a link to the video, https://arlo.netgear.com/#/viewShared/C3497B77E1C4A2EE

The camera does not have a problem picking up cars driving across the street so not sure why the car driving into the driveway was not picked up.

You can see someone walking out towards the front fence, but they actually just drove into the driveway as well.

The camera did not pick them when they were on the street or pulling in either.

Schorschi
Prodigy
Prodigy

GRzz wrote:

Heres a link to the video, https://arlo.netgear.com/#/viewShared/C3497B77E1C4A2EE

The camera does not have a problem picking up cars driving across the street so not sure why the car driving into the driveway was not picked up.

You can see someone walking out towards the front fence, but they actually just drove into the driveway as well.

The camera did not pick them when they were on the street or pulling in either.

I have here reproduced a screenshot of your video, since that will disappear after 24 hours:

Arlo Front View.png

I'm not sure what you're trying to achieve with this view. Are you interested in cars passing and getting a video clip every time they do? Are you interested in the neighbor's activity across the street (though motion detection probably wouldn't really reach that far)?

You have much too wide an open view on a road that will trigger tons of motion events by passing objects. Your driveway is only covered to a fraction of the whole image.

At the very least you should point your camera down so that the street is at the top edge of the frame. If your driveway is where you want to record action then you should make it the most prominent area in your frame.

I'm wondering if you're using an indoor magnetic mount, since the frame is so poorly chosen. You should invest in an outside mount with a ball joint that allows for maximum "orientability".

I would, however, mount the camera on the utility pole or tree to the right of your driveway, provided that's possible, pointing towards your house and driveway. That way you eliminate getting triggered from activity on the street. If you can't mount on the pole or tree to the right, what about the tree on the left where the gargabe bins are?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Agree with all the above and would point out that the driveway motion is directly at the camera which is the worst possible direction for motion detection for a passive IR detection system.

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation