Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo app sign in problems on wifi

Discussion stats
  • 12 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 4 In Conversation
jamie1972
Initiate
Initiate
So, today I can only sign into the Arlo app if I am on 4g network. If I turn my home wifi on (yes, the same network Arlo is on) I can't sign onto the app. But I CAN sign onto the app on 4g, then turn wifi back on, and continue to use the app. Any ideas?
12 REPLIES 12
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Just an FYI, the need to be on the same network as the base is only for initial setup so the base can be found.  After that, any network can be used.

I'd restart my router if you can't connect on your WiFi but it works ok on cell service.  

Bizzarlo
Aspirant
Aspirant
Having the same issue. Requires me to restart my router. When I try to open the app it says that I have no internet connection yet I am receiving alerts.
steve_t
Master Master
Master

Your home router might be blocking one of the ports required by Arlo

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Bizzarlo wrote:
Having the same issue. Requires me to restart my router. When I try to open the app it says that I have no internet connection yet I am receiving alerts.

ARe you trying a new system setup or is this with one already working?

Bizzarlo
Aspirant
Aspirant

My base station is connected via ethernet to my router. I see tha that the base station has its own wifi network. My understanding was that this is the wifi network that the cameras run on and then I interface with the cameras through my wifi network via the router. My router has both 2.4 and 5ghz and it seems the 5 ghz is having the issue. IF I need to change the base station wifi network then let me know - I couldn't find instructions on this.

Bizzarlo
Aspirant
Aspirant

steve_t wrote:

Your home router might be blocking one of the ports required by Arlo

this could be true - but surely we would be told to open certain ports in the setup? My router is a standard setup from the ISP - i.e. I haven't blocked any of the ports. I can try this. Is there an indication or instructions anywhere on what ports need to be availbale for the cameras?

Bizzarlo
Aspirant
Aspirant

jguerdat wrote:

Bizzarlo wrote:

ARe you trying a new system setup or is this with one already working?

It is a new system but it was setup and I had feeds and could monitor and arm the system etc. therefore it was setup and running according to the instructions, as best I could follow - pretty straightforward and only a quick start guide. I had synced cams and the base station and the base station is hard wired via ethernet to the router. The base station has its own default wifi network, which I have not done anything with. I'm not sure if I am supposed to.

I can connect fine via other networks but when I am home and trying to connect using my own wifi network; thats where I have been running into issues. Does the base station need to be put onto my same wifi network, if so are there instructions to sign in to the base station?  

steve_t
Master Master
Master

The base station network is not user configurable. It has its own name and chooses its own channel (to follow that of the strongest network nearby). If you change your router channel, the base station will change channels to follow it after a while. The Netgear techs reckons this causes LESS interference than being on a separate channel

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Bizzarlo wrote:

My base station is connected via ethernet to my router. I see tha that the base station has its own wifi network. My understanding was that this is the wifi network that the cameras run on and then I interface with the cameras through my wifi network via the router. My router has both 2.4 and 5ghz and it seems the 5 ghz is having the issue. IF I need to change the base station wifi network then let me know - I couldn't find instructions on this.

The base/camera WiFi is unto itself and we can't do anything about it.  Your connection to it is via the servers so any Internet access should get you that.  Your app or browser connects to the servers which then talk to the base.  If you want to access the cameras (i.e. live view), the servers command the base to do their thing.  That's why there's a bit of a delay when manipulating things - none of it is done locally.

Bizzarlo
Aspirant
Aspirant

jguerdat wrote:

Bizzarlo wrote:

The base/camera WiFi is unto itself and we can't do anything about it.  Your connection to it is via the servers so any Internet access should get you that.  Your app or browser connects to the servers which then talk to the base.  If you want to access the cameras (i.e. live view), the servers command the base to do their thing.  That's why there's a bit of a delay when manipulating things - none of it is done locally.

Thanks - got it. That makes sense and no issue.

So it is still not working. I can access the cameras via my app when I am not on my home wifi. When I get home and use my own wifi network then the app says that I have no internet connection and therefore cannot access the camera feeds. If I disconnect and use 4G then I can access my feeds again. There is definitely some issue when accessing the cameras through my own wifi network (that is wifi from my router and not the base station). Granting access to certain ports doesn't seem to be the solution as I can access the feeds from outside the network therefore the feed is being uploaded. Granted I have not done anything to check the ports and don't know how. Is this needed to gain access while using the router that the base station is connected to?  Any other ideas. BTW it does work sometimes but most of the time it says no interenet access on the app. when on my network.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Try powering down your modem, router and base.  Then bring them back up in that order, waiting for each to complete initialization before starting the next. Did that help?

Bizzarlo
Aspirant
Aspirant
No. Tried that. Tried it again. I am able to connect initially but after a while it says I cannot connect due to internet connectivity issues. However right now it's connecting. It didn't work on the first attempt but now the app is connecting. ??? Will keep testing. Doesnt appear to be stable.
Discussion stats
  • 12 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 4 In Conversation