Arlo and SImplisafe conflict

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
G-Squared
Aspirant
Aspirant

I've had a SimpliSafe alarm system for a while, and really like it. I've got 2 motion sensors for indoor coverage. I've never had any issues with false alarms.

I just put in a wireless Arlo/Netgear camera system, which I also really like.

The problem is, that now I'm getting false alarms on my SimpliSafe motion detectors. I'm speculating that the motion sensors in the Arlo cameras are somehow causing the SimpliSafe motion sensors to trigger.

Has anyone else had any sort of similar experience? If so, any suggestions for resolving this problem?

5 REPLIES 5
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

I can't see the Arlo IR detector setting off the other unit.... Unless the other sensors are picking up the IR illumination from the Arlo cameras in the darken room and setting them off.

1) does it occur in the day light hours ?

If so, it may be some other interference....Remember if that both operate on the wifi freqs of 2.4ghz it could cause same

If at night/dark then you may have to move the Arlo cams so the IR light doesn't hit the other sensors as much.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
G-Squared
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for the response TomMac.

So far, the false alarms have occurred during the day as that's when the alarm is typically set.

However, reading on the SimpliSafe site, that indicates that the frequency used between the sensor and the base is 433 mhz, so it wouldn't seem that the arlo 2.4 ghz would interfere.

Scratching my head because the issue started the first time we armed the SimpliSafe system the day after we put the cameras up.

Is the IR for the cameras on 24/7 or is it only active at night?

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

snip

During the day with light they are off.

The IR illumination is only active when the light levels falls low enough... the camera switches over to B/W and the IR will turn on... you can see a slight red glow when on ( front of camera) as they are at 850nm. 

Easy test... power down the Arlo for a day / two and see if the false alarms still occur

Schorschi
Prodigy
Prodigy

TomMac wrote:

snip

During the day with light they are off.

The IR illumination is only active when the light levels falls low enough... the camera switches over to B/W and the IR will turn on... you can see a slight red glow when on ( front of camera) as they are at 850nm. 

Just to clarify: The IR LEDs aren't continuously on when the light level falls low enough. They are only on when the light level is low enough and a recording event was triggered on the camera. In other words, if no recording event was triggered (and the light level is low enough), then there is no IR illumination.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Just to clarify: The IR LEDs aren't continuously on when the light level falls low enough. They are only on when the light level is low enough and a recording event was triggered on the camera. In other words, if no recording event was triggered (and the light level is low enough), then there is no IR illumination.

Correct.... they are ONLY on in low light conditions AND recording/streaming live.

As a trigger event starts, then they come on and shut off upon completion ( to save battery power )

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation