Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

App freezes

Discussion stats
  • 11 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 6 In Conversation
Muzzymuz
Aspirant
Aspirant
Love the arlo q monitor, despise the app. Bought this product for a baby monitor. App constantly freezes by itself or if baby twitches or coughs. I have had to reset it 4 times in the last 5 minutes. We spent $$$ for a great baby monitor that keeps me up all night resetting or worrying if my baby is ok. Isn't a baby monitor suppose to help and not hinder? Monitor has full bars, iPad has full bars. Netgear needs to fix the app or come out with a monitor viewing hub to watch cameras. At this point I'm better off buying a $20 vtech sound monitor, I'd get more sleep.
11 REPLIES 11
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

That would seem to be an issue with your device - no one else is reporting freezes.  Try reinstalling the app as well as rebooting the phone.  What phone and OS?

Muzzymuz
Aspirant
Aspirant
So it's an issue with all 3 of my devices?!? Weird! Even happen with new iOS 10 update. I have iPad Air and iPhone 6 and iPhone 6s Plus. iOS 10. I've reinstalled app 5 times and rebooted phones and iPad each time. Like I said full bars wifi on my device full bars wifi on Arlo camera. Can't the technology personnel at NetGear solve this technology issue?
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

It may be possible if you contacted support using the Support link at the top here.  They may be able to step you through things that would help.

If it were a Netgear issue, I'd expect to hear a lot more comments about this.

Muzzymuz
Aspirant
Aspirant

So can I ask you a question? When we talk about "recording" is that the same as "live" feed? From my understanding of the English language, "recording" is something that can be saved and look back on to review while "live" means it's happening now and it's not being saved for later? Support seems to think they are one in the same?! 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

In the case of the Q cameras, it's the same thing since the camera is constantly streaming. The recording simply grabs that stream from a few seconds before motion is detected and then creates a video in the library. If you opt for the CVR option, you'll see the whole stream. Live view also uses the  same stream.

This isn't true for the wireless cameras where something has to turn the camera on before any stream is generated.

redtdi
Aspirant
Aspirant

My wife and I experiencing the same issue.

iOS 10 (happened in 9 also), with 4 Arlo Q cameras in my house.

The problem doesn't seem to happen when viewing from a PC.  i'm going to try the app using LTE instead of on the same wifi network (full strength on all cameras and no latency issues or bandwidth issues).

Ken

oncodude
Aspirant
Aspirant

My wife and I are experiencing many problems with our Arlo Q when using it as a baby monitor.  The camera is displayed on an iPad mini next to the bed, or over iPhones.  Often when trying to view the camera stream, an orange bar appears at the top stating that the camera is not available, try again.  This is incredibly frutrating when you are trying to go to bed, and want to monitor your newborn.  If the stream is working, it will not work all night.  In a few minutes, or a few hours, it will freeze.  Then you wake up to a still image, and have no monitoring of your child.

- I do not have this problem, ever, with any of the Arlo cams, only the Q.  Even when the Q has no access, I can access all other Arlo cams.

- I have purchased a second Arlo Q to see if the problem was with the device itself.  Identical issues

- I bought a Netgear Nighthawk X6 AC3200 because Netgear support said it was the fault of my router.  Identical issues

- I replaced the Nighthark with the brand new Netgear Orbi because Netgear support said that the tri-band capability of hte Nighthawk may be causing problems.  Identical issues

- My only logical assumption is that it may be a function of the App on the iPad or iPhones, because I do not monitor with a computer

I have to assume that the Arlo Q simply freezes unpredictably, and is not a good or reliable baby monitor.  We started using an Owlet vitals monitor and are buying a dedicated baby audio/video monitor after all of this investment, because we cannot trust the Arlo Q.  If I was Netgear, I would be very cautious promoting Arlo Q as a baby monitor.  It will only take one scenario where parents sleep through an unfortunate accident while the Arlo Q is frozen for there to be a nasty legal situation.

I am curious to hear any feedback or additional advice.  So far, no Netgear support staff has been able to troubleshoot this, which I find hard to beleive.

redtdi
Aspirant
Aspirant
We went back to using a Withings baby monitor and it works much better. It also runs as a background app so you can listen while doing other things. Picture quality isn't as slick but at least we don't need to worry.

My wife would tear the arlos off the wall if I'd let her. She hates them.
Tleenyc
Aspirant
Aspirant
Has there been any resolution to this? My our iPhone and iPad apps are also freezing in the middle of the night while using as a baby monitor. This is obviously a problem and a total waste of money. My wife keep telling me we should have bought the Nest and I am starting to agree. Is there a fix? Anyone?
oncodude
Aspirant
Aspirant

There has been absolutely no response from Netgear.  But many postings in various forums of the identical problem.  It is a real issue that there is apparently no solution for.  Which really sucks, because I really like the regular cameras.  It's just the constant feed from the Q that is the problem

Paulcstaylor1
Aspirant
Aspirant
I can confirm this is still an issue as if July 2017 monitoring baby app freezesvon both android and iPad apps doesn't tell you picture is frozen just sits blank - I only bought it today - will be returning in tomorrow.
Discussion stats
  • 11 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 6 In Conversation