Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Although NO lights are on camera is picking up lights turning in and off?

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation
petstone
Aspirant
Aspirant
My husband is the only one up at 6am. As he enters and leaves rooms with cameras set up in them "lights" turn on and off as he enters and leaves the room. My husband is not turning on and off the lights. Do the cameras cast enough light from the infrared to create light and shadows? Or do the cameras pick up on each others' infrared lights and show them as regular lights turning on and off? This does not happen with clips caught of our cats going in and out of rooms, only when my husband goes from room to room.
7 REPLIES 7
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I'm not sure I understand but it seems like you're saying that videos recorded appear to be turning room lights on and off. It also seems like no one is actually doing so. If that's the case, the IR illumination does, in fact, create visible red light. It's faint but I suppose other cameras could see it and record it as if a light was being turned on. You could easily test this by temporarily moving or disabling one or more cameras and monitoring the results. Noting where the light seems to be coming from in the videos would likely be another clue.

If no other lights are on, it must be the IR illumination being picked up/reflected and being recorded.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Or do the cameras pick up on each others' infrared lights and show them as regular lights turning on and off? This does not happen with clips caught of our cats going in and out of rooms, only when my husband goes from room to room.

Yes... the camera pick up each others IR light....When you have one camera on at night and another kicks on a few seconds later, it appears ( in b/w of course ) that someone has turned on a light in the other room ( while its really only the ir light from the second camera )

It happens all the time at night in my setup which has an open floor plan.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
petstone
Aspirant
Aspirant

Testing this theory tonight! Thanks for the tip 🙂

petstone
Aspirant
Aspirant

That's what we figured, but were a bit puzzled as the light that was turning on seemd so bright - as bright as a regular hallway light and bright enough to cast shadows of our cats and the stairway railing. My first thought? A nice ghost "lighting" the way for my husband. Reality? Not nearly as exciting 😉

STLSR
Aspirant
Aspirant
Can we choose the other app instead of the new app don't like this one at all Thanks
STLSR
Aspirant
Aspirant

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

STLSR,

In order to utilize all the new features released you will need to be on the latest version of the Arlo app. What issues are you having with the new app?

JamesC

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation