Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras

Use different password to access Arlo Web Portal apart from password used to login in Community

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Recommendation:   I'd like to see the capability to use a distinct (different) password to access the Arlo Web Portal (can be the same as the My Arlo smartphone app) apart from the password used to login to the Arlo Community Forum.

Observation:  I went to re-set the password used to login to the Arlo Community from my desktop (although I did not see a change password  link under "My Profile" under my username on the Arlo Community forums, I proceeded to request a password re-set at the login screen).  This was successful.

However, when I next went to login to my Arlo smartphone app, it no long accepted the password that I had registered with it, which was different (I thought) than the Arlo Community Forum password.  I was unable to login.  With hesitation & disbelief, I then proceeded to see if I could login with my new Arlo Community Forum password onto the Arlo smartphone app.  It was successful.

DO I understand this correctly?  Apparently there is one unified password with the login to MyArlo account and my Arlo smartphone app (which accesses the feeds off my cameras) and that password is the SAME as the one used to login to Arlo Community forums?

That commonality - one for a community forum and the other for secure access to your Arlo security devices should be distinct and unique, wouldn't you think, for obvious reasons?  I believe this would reflect best practices.

Please advise.

Thank you for a very good product, with several product upgrades and accessories, now in use for nearly 2 years.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SummerParrot
Aspirant
Aspirant

I went to re-set the password used to login to the Arlo Community from my desktop (although I did not see a change password link under "My Profile" under my username on the Arlo Community forums, I proceeded to request a password re-set at the login screen).

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

I already use different email addresses and passwords for community.arlo.com and my.arlo.com. For the latter I have an email address that is unique to that address.

Actually, I have a couple of logins for my.arlo.com. Ancient and modern.

Just another user
Arlo hardware: Q Plus, Pro 2 (X2), Pro 3 (X3), Pro 3 Floodlight, Security Light (X2), Ultra (X2), Doorbell, Chime
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Hi Michael,

That sounds like a reasonable work around ... great idea.   I'll explore this on my own just a bit further.  I'd like to test this with trying unique passwords (+ complexity) just to be sure.  If that still does not work out, I'll be sure to go ahead on your solution & assign a unique e-mail to the community vs. my.arlo  which will require the unique passwords.  Very good!

Thanks a bunch!

SummerParrot
Aspirant
Aspirant

I went to re-set the password used to login to the Arlo Community from my desktop (although I did not see a change password link under "My Profile" under my username on the Arlo Community forums, I proceeded to request a password re-set at the login screen).

Retired_Member
Not applicable

Hi SummerParrot,

I very much appreciate the information you shared in your posted reply to my concern regarding Account Security.  It proved to be the motivating reasonability-check that I needed - it kicked me into high gear!  I've revisited this issue (concern) entirely.  I fundamentally believe that I ought to be able to change passwords to make them distinct / maintain their uniqueness (between the Community forum and my Arlo security devices) for obvious reasons.   For the 'system' to be setup to not allow otherwise just does not make sense.  I change passwords, not e-mail accounts.   You see, if I go to re-set my password at the login screen to the Community Forum, it will also re-set my login to my Arlo Acocunt's device access.   Unfortunately, that is the inevitable result from doing so.  Additionally, it does seem rather strange and unusual that there is not a password change function listed (as a link) in the menu under my Community forum profile.  (As you have helpfully mentioned, you need to go through the process of requesting a password re-set at the Community Forum sign-on screen.)  Yet, given that the system does not allow one to create a unique password assignment between both separate functions, with my e-mail account, I will simply pull the plug on the Community forum.  I'd much rather assign priority to maintain and isolate the integrity of login access to my Arlo system than to the Arlo Community Forum - for now.  Perhaps at a later date I'll check to see if changes have been made.  However - I extend this to the tech team and web developers at ARLO - this IS an egregious oversight in regards safeguarding the integrity of accounts and access  for your ARLO clients.  I'm also posting this reply in order that other users are informed who may not be entirely aware of this vulnerability issue.   (I will also re-set the password for my Arlo devices / account forthwith, and maintaining password complexity.)  All the best.