Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras

Shame on NetGear for discouraging using password managers to create strong passwords

Discussion stats
  • 0 Replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 1 In Conversation
babyquestions
Tutor
Tutor

i tried registering to ask a question and was surprised to see it said my email was already registered. well, i had an old netgear account from years ago and don't have the password, so i followed steps to reset the password.  i got the reset email and clicked to the new password url, got my password manager to generate a strong 64-character password, and Netgear would not accept it. it kept saying i had to hand-enter the new password AND the confirmation of the password.  

THIS IS EXTREMELY BACKWARD.  NETGEAR SHOULD KNOW PEOPLE USE PASSWORD MANAGERS AND CREATING STRONG PASSWORDS BY HAND IS EXTREMELY FRUSTRATING. 

PEOPLE DON'T HAVE THE TIME OR PATIENCE TO HAND-ENTER 128 CHARACTERS!

i tried many different things, from getting my password manager to auto-fill the fields to copying and pasting, to starting out typing and then pasting, but Netgear wouldn't accept it.

YOU KNOW WHAT NETGEAR DID ACCEPT?? 1234abcd 

WTF IS NETGEAR DOING? and don't tell me you don't accept copy/paste because "hackers use copy/paste". SO DO SECURITY-CONSCIOUS CUSTOMERS!

what you are doing is encouraging weak passwords, frustrating your customers, and not compliant with industry standards in any way. for a security tech company, this is unacceptable.

i'm using chrome on windows 10 but this was definitely a netgear website issue.

0 REPLIES 0