Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Security Cam: day, night, vehicles, people, animals

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 6 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation
AgentBellic
Tutor
Tutor

This is a YouTube posted video of a few of the more notable scenes captured during May - July 2015 from the cameras placed at the front of my house. It shows extreme close-ups and triggered recordings from about 65 or more feet away caused by passing vehicles and even kids on bikes.

Click here:  Arlo security cam footage

The camera files were edited into a "movie" with a background music track.

Camera Rule Settings:

recording length: 15 seconds

recording sensitivity: 90 to 97%

power management: best video

8 REPLIES 8
devotchko
Luminary
Luminary

You must go through batteries like crazy; How often do you need to change them because of the way you have your cameras set up?

AgentBellic
Tutor
Tutor

Some of the original batteries are still working after about three months. They are in cameras that make significantly less recordings because of their position.

The other cameras now have rechargeable batteries (On The Way, 3.7v, 16340, 2000mAhL).

The remaining cams will be using the rechargeables when the original batteries are depleted.

On The Way rechargeables last from about 15 days to 40 days. I use the very good quality Foxnovo F-4S charger that quickly brings them back up to full strength in about one hour or less.

Also, when I am at home in the afternoon, I sometimes use the "motion off" mode to shut them all down and then turn them back on in the late evening. When I am doing yard work, I also use motion off mode.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

AgentBellic,

Very well put together video, thank you for posting!

AgentBellic
Tutor
Tutor

Thanks!

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

very nice, nice vid work too

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
Jordandawg05
Guide
Guide

i've watched this video several times ! its nice !

i only have one camera right now up on my driveway and i have it similarly set up , yesterday was the first day with this set up and passing cars kept coming, i live in a cul de sac.  are you not bothered with alot of notifications form the street? still weighting my options whether to keep the position above my garage due to the high usage ...even if i pull the camera dowon to not even see the street it seems to pick up the passing cars ! 

great video i've enjoyed this many times !

AgentBellic
Tutor
Tutor

Thanks for the compliments.

Sometimes it depends if you are home or away--what do want the system to do?

If you mean by notifications: the e-mails alerts by the Arlo system--I have them all turned off except for low-battery.

For your garage view recording vehicles: I assume you have not tried several lower sensitivity adjustments.

If you mean that by adjusting the camera so it can't see the street and it makes too many recordings of "nothing"--try a lower sensitivity setting and then do a walk test into the field of view.

I have noticed that the Arlo cameras are more sensitive on a hot sunny afternoon (temperatures 90 or above). If I am at home, I adjust the sensitivity from 95% to 85%. That will significantly cut down the amount of recordings, especially of passing vehicles or "blank" recordings. In the evening, I reset them back to 95%.

Jordandawg05
Guide
Guide

Thanks for the advise.  Yes i meant the notification emails /app from the Arlo system but as you mentioned you have those tured off so your phone doesn't keep 'dinging' every second.  makes sense..

i've adjusted the camer view on my garage camera further down and that reduced the # of records of cars ..the only down size is the field of view in the camer is just my driveway and some yard ( first pic).  When i tested it , especially with the few second delay i only get the subject walking for a few seconds in the recording before they are out of the view.  my sensitivity right now is like 85% with the camer pointed directly at my driveway...

below (second picture) is the view i had it two days ago when i got alot of recordings ( 85+% )i want this view and maybe even pull it up to see more of the street but the # of recordings is what  i am trying to limit as i dont want every single car that pulls in the street...what % sensitivity should i have it on in order to limit cars but at the same time if someone pulls or walks on the driveway to capture...i am afraid if i put like 60 it won't capture people walking up to my drievway.....1441117841974.jpg

This is the current view ^^^ with the camera pointed downwards little more with sensitivity at 85+ , low records but view is not wide....

1441033559781.jpg

Related Labels
Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 6 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation