Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

porch light security camera

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation
spicymike
Follower
Follower

When is Arlo going to get a porch light security camera with two way auido?

6 REPLIES 6
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

competition is always good !

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

spicymike,

Currently, the Arlo Q offers audio capabilities but is not designed for outdoor use. I encourage you to visit the Arlo Idea Exchange and post this idea there.

JamesC

R_Lowe
Luminary
Luminary

Of course if you have a 120V power source and the porch is otherwise protected from the elements (and esp. if you live in a moderate climate), I know of no reason why one couldn't employ a Q on one's porch if 2-way audio was specifically desired there.  Then again, my house isn't large, so no matter where I'm located I'm sure the visitor can still hear me yell out, "Go away!"  😉 

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

R_Lowe wrote:

Of course if you have a 120V power source and the porch is otherwise protected from the elements (and esp. if you live in a moderate climate), I know of no reason why one couldn't employ a Q on one's porch if 2-way audio was specifically desired there.  Then again, my house isn't large, so no matter where I'm located I'm sure the visitor can still hear me yell out, "Go away!"  😉 

I had the Q outside as a test run in covered area for a week ( where I'm going to mount it... adding a pigtail socket in the current light for the usb power plug ( power plug 100% covered by light fixture ))

So far , no problems thru a couple of rain shower with wind.... but then it is a covered porch.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The thing I'd be worried about would be ambient moisture, not rain. Build-up inside the unsealed camera (and maybe power supply) could eventually end the device.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

jguerdat wrote:

The thing I'd be worried about would be ambient moisture, not rain. Build-up inside the unsealed camera (and maybe power supply) could eventually end the device.

Have you checked the power supply... not much and easily replaced usb output.  I must have a half dozen that will work in a junk box here from other devices.

As to the camera, I'm planing to tape over the speaker area in the first parts of the official out side run ( and seal the seams with clear silicon ).

If i doesn't last , I'll look for soemthing else...tho I do think the self generated heat will eliminate the possible moisture problem

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation