Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Suggestion to make better VMS3130-100NAS

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
Jimdandy56
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am happy with my new system and it was very easy to install and get up and running.  I have one suggestion for it. Sell a wired power chord/adapter option for places that have a power outlet is present.  We have a lake house and would like to spend a lot of time looking at the view over our lake without the batteries draining quickly.  Thanks for the consideration. Smiley Very Happy

6 REPLIES 6
Schorschi
Prodigy
Prodigy

You bought the wrong camera for your purpose then.

Arlo wireless cameras were built to react to motion events and record brief video clips. Any other usage, especially repeated and extended Live Viewing will deplete the batteries in a few days' time.

You may want to look into the Arlo Q or the recently announced Arlo Q Plus camera (which will be available at the end of May 2016). These cameras have a wired connection to mains power, they allow for continous recording with an optional Arlo Q-specific subscription plan. The Arlo Q cameras are for indoor use only.

Jimdandy56
Aspirant
Aspirant

I got the correct camera.  I need one that can plug-in and be certified for exterior use.  The Arlo Q is only for interior use. Thanks.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Jimdandy56 wrote:

I got the correct camera.  I need one that can plug-in and be certified for exterior use.  The Arlo Q is only for interior use. Thanks.

It's been tested for a couple weeks... but to do it , your on your own and will have to mod your Arlo camera.

A pigtale adapter connected properly to the terminal inside the Arlo outdoor cam so the camera is sealed, 

1)and power lead to your camera from an ac source via transformer.

OR

2)and a 6v gell cell and a 6v solar panel ( used for game feeders ) sold at walmart for $30 total.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Moultrie-6V-Deluxe-Solar-Panel/16386214

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
Jimdandy56
Aspirant
Aspirant

Tommac, thanks for the information, however, I am a little confused by the 6v solar panel when all 4 batteries total 12.8v, 1500 mAh. You say you have tried this? Can you send me a snapshot of it?  Thanks for your help.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Jimdandy56 wrote:

Tommac, thanks for the information, however, I am a little confused by the 6v solar panel when all 4 batteries total 12.8v, 1500 mAh. You say you have tried this? Can you send me a snapshot of it?  Thanks for your help.

There are a couple of threads on the board with Arlos running from ac power ( or by external means ) Search is your friend

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Arlo-Wire-Free-camera/AC-Adapter-Construction-For-My-High-Use-Camer...

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Arlo-Wire-Free-camera/How-to-hardwire-power-using-the-USB-port/m-p/...

As to the batteries... yes there are 4 cells, but it is really two sets in parallel to double the available current

So OEM cells are 6.4v and Li-ions come in at 8.4v (off charge).

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

PS..there are 2 other threads with pictures, somewhere on the site with external powered cams mouinted outside

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation