Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Recommendations for a security system with wired power, but wireless communications?

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
BionicManster
Aspirant
Aspirant

I just purchased a Netgear NAS, and I'd like a security system which will work with it. I have read the complaints about the wireless cameras. Frankly, even if they work as advertised, I'd rather put in power wiring to the cameras and save having to worry about batteries.

Reading between the lines of both the advertising and the complaints, it seems to me that battery life is extended when the cameras are off, which means a lower sensitivity. But I live on a busy street, and sufficiently low sensitivity might miss prowlers, which negates the whole purpose of buying a system.

Ideally, I'd like an always on system which takes a hi-res snapshot every second. That should conserve storage space and still provide security without having to twiddle sensitivity settings.

Does anyone have a system with powered cameras to recommend that will work with my NAS?

2 REPLIES 2
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

BionicManster,

Take a look at this comparison article between the Arlo Wire-Free system and the Arlo Q: Arlo Wire-Free compared to Arlo Q

The Arlo Q communicates with the Arlo cloud wirelessly but is wired for power.

Both options require an internet connection and do not offer direct local storage. All recordings made are uploaded to the Arlo cloud where they can then be downloaded and stored locally.

JamesC

BionicManster
Aspirant
Aspirant
I appreciate the response. It does seem odd to me that Netgear sells NASs, which are made to order for security camera storage, and yet doesn't sell an option to use it as such. I see no point in paying for two transfers of every image to and from the cloud in order to get things stored on the NAS I own. Obviously I need to consider another provider. I was hoping someone could help me narrow the field, but I can certainly understand that Arlo doesn't want that talked about in their forum.
Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation