Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

RECHARGABLE BATTERIES of LiFePO4 format appear not to function correctly

Discussion stats
  • 12 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 7 In Conversation
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

BEFORE buying batteries read this thread;

Bought and set my Arlo 4 camera system 5/4/15 around 3-4pm. As soon as the provided Energizer batteries dropped 1 bar on the battery indicator, I ordered rechargeable batteries and chargers.

- (8) Tenergy Li-Ion 3V 900mah (blue/silver) with 4 dock charger, X 2

- (10) Tenergy LiFePO4 750mah (green/silver), X2

As soon as they arrived some of the blue 900mah needed a 3 hr charge. 

The green 750mah were charged on arrival.

5/14/15 I got a 1 red bar battery indicator / 10% email at 8:30pm. 

I changed out the old Energizer one-use batteries with the blue 900mah Tenergy, reset the camera in position, THEN noticed the battery indicator wasn't corrected to a full 3 green bars via iOS app but still 1 red bar (should've checked before mounting). I checked to see if the camera would work, it did but had a longer than usual delay with live streaming.

I tried the green 750mah Tenergy, in the other camera I wanted to change to rechargeable batteries even tho it had 2 green bars (both high traffic, best quality), and the battery indicator dropped to 1 red bar. I then tried the blue Tenergy in this same camera and got the same results.

I ended up putting the old Energizer batteries back into the cameras and now have both cameras at 1 red bar via iOS and website through computer.

Support said that the Engineers tested these batteries and found that they WILL NOT WORK. They said that I need to buy 3.6V-3.7V Li-Ion Rechargeable batteries and added that I should NOT use the green 750mah LiFePO4 Tenergy. They said that 3V is not enough to operate the camera.  I expressed my confusion since the provided Energizer batteries are 3V as well. So that doesn't make sense... rechargeable or one-use shouldn't make a difference, 3V is 3V.  They said thay there is a specific discussion referring to ONLY USE 3.6V or 3.7V Li-ION RECHARGEABLE batteries on here but I can't find where a Netgear/Arlo rep says this, just customer discussions about trial/error. Also, this is NOT indicated on the box, app, etc. as operating requirements. Now I'm stuck with a bunch of batteries I can't use?  I asked about a possible software problem and they said it was not a software problem.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Kithay wrote:

I have just spent 100AUD on a 8 K2 energy 3.2v LiFePo4 batteries and I am having the same problem. Wasted a heap of money. Need answers as to why they will not work. Or compensation as i was under the impression any rechargeables would work.

There has not been an offical statement (to my knowledge) as to what batteries will/won't work...

The previous warning was posted due to a couple of users having problems with the LiFePo4 batteries ( like you )

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
Kithay
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have just spent 100AUD on a 8 K2 energy 3.2v LiFePo4 batteries and I am having the same problem. Wasted a heap of money. Need answers as to why they will not work. Or compensation as i was under the impression any rechargeables would work.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Kithay wrote:

There has not been an offical statement (to my knowledge) as to what batteries will/won't work...

The previous warning was posted due to a couple of users having problems with the LiFePo4 batteries ( like you )

StuBee
Luminary
Luminary

Kithay wrote:

I don't see how netgear is liable for a particular battery not working.  Seems like you would follow up with the battery maker.  Nor do I think netgear would compensate for an "impression that any rechargeables would work".

It's a bummer, and lesson learned regarding rechargables for any product.  Someone was nice enough to find a link to the the original batteries still in the manufacture case and a great price.  

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003FBDC1A?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

Kithay
Aspirant
Aspirant

OK, I realise its not Arlos fault, I was pretty angry and frustrated when I found out the batteries did not work. I am over it now and moving forward. Sorry if I offended anyone. I am sure I will find a use for my new paperweights one day.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Why not try the TangsFire 1000mAh lithium ion batteries? They're cheap as any and are working very well for me. Why paperweights when easy solutions are available?

Alpo
Star
Star

I would be disappointed if they will not support these Tenergy batteries, but having had these for a couple of months or so, I can say that they absolutely do work in three cameras, with the exception of the indicator suggesting that the batteries are draining within a day or so.  Since I am quite satisfied with the longevity of these, even using the best quality mode, I have no plans to replace them.  I just need to set a reminder for myself to replace on a schedule.  There was a brief period with some firmware update that the low reading actually made the cameras completely unusable and inaccessible, but that is no longer the case.  With that said, I am not running the latest firmware yet, but will perform an update if I don't see any reported issues that would make me hold off.

http://www.amazon.com/Kits-RCR123A-LiFePO4-Rechargeable-Batteries/dp/B001EYHO9G

RobertRosal
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Alpo wrote:

I would be disappointed if they will not support these Tenergy batteries, but having had these for a couple of months or so, I can say that they absolutely do work in three cameras, with the exception of the indicator suggesting that the batteries are draining within a day or so.  Since I am quite satisfied with the longevity of these, even using the best quality mode, I have no plans to replace them.  I just need to set a reminder for myself to replace on a schedule.  There was a brief period with some firmware update that the low reading actually made the cameras completely unusable and inaccessible, but that is no longer the case.  With that said, I am not running the latest firmware yet, but will perform an update if I don't see any reported issues that would make me hold off.

http://www.amazon.com/Kits-RCR123A-LiFePO4-Rechargeable-Batteries/dp/B001EYHO9G

Hi Alpo,

How long are the Tenergy batteries lasting on your cameras?

-Robert
StuBee
Luminary
Luminary

Alpo wrote:

I am not running the latest firmware yet, but will perform an update if I don't see any reported issues that would make me hold off.

As far as I am aware, we have no control over firmware updates. They are pushed out by Netgear.  Let me know if this is incorrect.

StuBee
Luminary
Luminary

StuBee wrote:

As far as I am aware, we have no control over firmware updates. They are pushed out by Netgear.  Let me know if this is incorrect.

Ignore my post..i see that there is an AutoUpdate firmware option (which i have checked)

Alpo
Star
Star

Glad to see you figured it out.  I don't like to live on the bleeding edge of updates, especially with products that are still maturing.

Alpo
Star
Star

I guess I should clarify that I'm not endorsing a new purchase of these Tenergys.  Rather, if you already have some and can't return them, it doesn't seem like the worst purchase one could make.  Having read this thread, I'd almost certainly think about an alternative if I were to buy another camera, unless their engineers give the all clear.

bunk97
Initiate
Initiate

This is a joke from netgear. Nowhere on their website did it say you can only use your camera to live feed 4 min per day for it to last 6 months. I was not under that impression from their website. I called them today because i just bought a camera and had it set up for 3 days and the batteries were dead. 3 DAYS that is all i got so i had to go to the store and buy 20 dollars worth of batteries to last another 3 days. So mad right now.

Discussion stats
  • 12 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 7 In Conversation