Power glitch and cameras are off-line

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
Flashfox
Guide
Guide

Apart from making sure the ARLO base is connected to a UPS, how can you setup the system so that after a power glitch the cameras return automatically on-line? We had two power glitches and each time I have to re-register each of the four cameras with the base.

My old VueZone system did NOT have this issue. They would automatically reconnect after a power glitch.

2 REPLIES 2
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The UPS is frankly the best solution but the need to resync cameras after an outage begs the question as to the cameras' WiFi signal strength as well as the length of the outage (the batteries can die from the cameras trying to reconnect to the base).

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Flashfox wrote:

Apart from making sure the ARLO base is connected to a UPS, how can you setup the system so that after a power glitch the cameras return automatically on-line? We had two power glitches and each time I have to re-register each of the four cameras with the base.

My old VueZone system did NOT have this issue. They would automatically reconnect after a power glitch.

As 'J ' mentioned above , a UPS seems to fix this problem.  ( btw, there is another thread on this but really haven't seen this problem lately from others, if I find it, I'll add it, Robert(?) went thru an hour power outage+ and it didn't occur )

Anyway, it seems that if there is a short time of power loss to the base, the cameras will just auto reconnect.

In my educated guessing, the cameras continue to ping out for the base just like cell phones do when signal is lost.  At some time ( unknown ) the cameras just stop doing this by design or not and go silent.

If this occurs, the cameras will require physical contact as they must be re-synced manually.

This is where the UPS comes in... with the base into a UPS, the base never loses power and the cameras keep going in their 'happy' mode unknowingly to this power failure as the base pings back.  Also in most systems that use cable, if the router/modem stays powered you still have internet and all will run 100%. But number 1 is keeping the base alive.

So esp if your system is in a remote site like a vacation home, I recommend a UPS.  It can save a trip to fix if the power is out for a few hours.  How long you need it to run is based on power drain used and how much $ you want to spend.  Prob most units about $100 will handle the majority of power problems.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation