Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Is there a way to disable all the flashing lights on the camera? Stealth mode?

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 4 Likes
  • 6 In Conversation
Minx
Initiate
Initiate

One major reason you never see Arlo video of theives posted on the web is that the camera SCREAMS RECORDING when motion is detected, it is the brightest flashing thing in the room and draws immediate attention to itself, this is a major flaw with the system and dramatically reduces any potential effectiveness for security.  If this Stealth mode was possible, it would increase sales exponentially, Netgear is leaving $Millions on the table with this flaw.

8 REPLIES 8
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Sorry, but there is no flashing of the LEDs on the front of camera during record.

There are only a couple times when the LEDs do flash  ... 1) test mode for motion 2) low battery warning makes the Amber flash about once every few mins.

( not counting when sync'ing or batteries first installed or update of s/w )

The IR illuminators are in the 850 nm range so at night they have a soft reddish glow, but they don't flash either.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
Minx
Initiate
Initiate

When the camera detects motion, there is a clicking sound and the IR lights up in moderatly lit situations, thus providing a glaring beacon to

the theif to remove the camera immediatly.  As no system is perfect, it would be great to be able to disable or adjust the IR trigger?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

That certainly could be useful but you'd have no night vision. Only ambient light would be used, likely leading to no useful images. If the area is already well lit there would be no need for the IR illuminators but then the intruder wouldn't even notice the small amount of light from the illuminators.

wing4700
Initiate
Initiate

Well, how do you disable ir diodes form glowing. I do not need night vision.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

You can simply mask off the IR illuminators with opaque tape/cardboard/whatever works for you.  They'll still light up but won't be seen. Be careful not to block the lens or motion detector...

CaptainDork
Apprentice
Apprentice

If you don't meed night vision, then you don't need the cameras at night, is that correct?

If so, use the Schedule feature to disable the cameras during night.

Am I understanding the issue correctly?

newbietj
Aspirant
Aspirant

Sorry for jumping in on this thread but this was the clost any thread has come to my issue.  I too am curious about adjusting or disabing the IR lights.  I am noticing many time when there is perfectly adequate light in the room or outside for a quality picutre.  Instead it seems to sensitive and turns on leaving you with a B&W gray scale pic and if you are just cheking in on activity at home draws attention to the camera.  I would certainly still like to have the night vision ability as i am sure most would but the ability to turn it off and on at will or adjust the sensitivity is a much needed feature.    For example on the old vuezone cameras you could adjust the light sensitivity and still get a great quality pic in low light.  Now even when the sensitivity is adjusted in the same room the IR automatically turns on with no ability to turn it off.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

newbietj wrote:

I too am curious about adjusting or disabing the IR lights.  

There is no adjustment nor can you disable the IR illuminators on the  Arlo cam

Morse is faster than texting!
Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 4 Likes
  • 6 In Conversation