Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Does the Arlo Camera have night vision capabilties?

Discussion stats
ArloNewbie
Follower
Follower

Can Arlo take a quality video in the dark? Do I need an external IR lamp to make it work?

34 REPLIES 34
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Really the pic is to show the drop off in the FOV... how little illumination to the sides.

Yes, it would do much better in a room with light colored walls.... I'm aware of this.

I actually got the range out to almost 75 ft with an external flood light ( 850 nm ) that was designed for the older Vuezone system.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
Arlophile
Guide
Guide

I am not seeing this feature behave as promised.

The Arlo camera can automatically sense when the area/room does not have sufficient lighting to produce a quality picture and convert to night vision mode.

Are you sure after the most recent update this is still how Night Vision is supposed to work? (the latest update allows for manual turning on night vision, but unless this can be done by a motion trigger and logic that it is dark/night, this feature is only useful in live view mode).

My experience is when dark, the motion sensor triggers the rule which starts the camera recording, but the image is black as night vision is not automatically turning on.

Ideas? 

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Arlophile wrote:

I am not seeing this feature behave as promised.

The Arlo camera can automatically sense when the area/room does not have sufficient lighting to produce a quality picture and convert to night vision mode.

Are you sure after the most recent update this is still how Night Vision is supposed to work? (the latest update allows for manual turning on night vision, but unless this can be done by a motion trigger and logic that it is dark/night, this feature is only useful in live view mode).

My experience is when dark, the motion sensor triggers the rule which starts the camera recording, but the image is black as night vision is not automatically turning on.

Yes,it works with the new SW... if the Nightvision is toggled ON in the settings for that camera, when light levels fall below a certain level, the IR illuminators should come on. THIS WILL ONLY HAPPEN IN LIVE VIEW OR RECORD, normally any other time its off as ithe IR light is moot

Easy way to test is go into a dark room with the IR set to on AND motion record turned on ( or live viewing )...1) you can see the IR light as a slight red glow at the front of camera, 2)you should get a recording if moving the camera around ( or see the live view)

If you do no, reset the camera by opening the battery door for a few secs... then close. try again the test.

If still no good, toggle the IR settings off (save ) ON and save to make sure it programed right... test again

If still NG, contact netgear as the cam may be defective.

Morse is faster than texting!
Arlophile
Guide
Guide

Ah! That helps. I assumed toggling Night Vision turned on the IR LEDs and left them on (wasting battery power) since I saw them come on while streaming live. Good to know (and makes sense) they would turn on only when seeing motion. I'll enable and try it tonight!

Arlophile
Guide
Guide

Worked as promised. I should have understood this, but my mistake was enabling nigh vision then doing a live view. The LED's turned on and I ass-u-med they were ALWAYS on, not just when detecting motion.

Caught this guy last night!

Night Visitor

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Arlophile,

I am glad to hear your issue was resolved!

That shady character in your screenshot sure looks menacing...good thing you've got Arlo!

JamesC

julierodeo41
Aspirant
Aspirant

the red lights come on but its still daark not a good pic is there somewayto make them brite

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Define dark.  All over or after some distance?  The LEDs have a short throw - maybe 20 feet with the hot spot in the middle.  It's battery-operated, after all, so high-powered LEDs wouldn't lend themselves to battery life.  You can buy separate IR spotlights on Amazon, etc. that will have a much better range and spread because you plug them in. Just be sure you look for the 850nm versions that would be most compatible with Arlo's IR filters.

Nevadan
Aspirant
Aspirant
How do you get the camera out of night mode to record in color again?
hokeysmoke
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Nevadan wrote:
How do you get the camera out of night mode to record in color again?

It is automatic.  Once the brightness of the scene increases enough, the camera will switch to color mode.

Discussion stats