Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 26 Replies
  • 19 Likes
  • 15 In Conversation
ArloNewbie
Follower
Follower

I haven't seen anywhere that the Arlo cameras can also record audio? Is that a feature that exists? If not, are there plans to incorporate audio in the future?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ArloTeam
Arlo Employee
Arlo Employee

Hello ArloNewbie,

Currently, the Arlo system does not support audio capabilities. However, there may be external audio options at some point in the future. Any time you have more great ideas I recommend submitting your idea by visiting Arlo Idea Exchange.

Thank you for the great suggestion!!

Arlo Team

Update: We are excited to announce that the Arlo Pro supports 2-way audio. For more information on the 2-way audio feature and addtional new Arlo Pro features, see here: What new features does Arlo Pro offer?

View solution in original post

26 REPLIES 26
ArloTeam
Arlo Employee
Arlo Employee

Hello ArloNewbie,

Currently, the Arlo system does not support audio capabilities. However, there may be external audio options at some point in the future. Any time you have more great ideas I recommend submitting your idea by visiting Arlo Idea Exchange.

Thank you for the great suggestion!!

Arlo Team

Update: We are excited to announce that the Arlo Pro supports 2-way audio. For more information on the 2-way audio feature and addtional new Arlo Pro features, see here: What new features does Arlo Pro offer?

xaero
Guide
Guide

I was just about to hit the "buy now" button on a Arlo package with 2 cameras and 2 extra units. And I just for a moment hesitated and thought I'd google what audio recording it does. And Now I find out that it doesn't record any audio at all?! Wait what?! Really? Eh, no thanks then.

geeksquad
Initiate
Initiate

Well without audio it only serves half of the purpose. Sorry, not buying it.

CaptainDork
Apprentice
Apprentice

There can be interesting legal issues regarding sound capture.

In my state of Texas, US, it is illegal to record conversations unless at least ONE of the parties to the conversation is aware that audio is being recorded.

Here's an example:

If You and I are talking, I can turn on my smart phone voice recorder without telling you. That's legal because I know it's being recorded and I'm part of the conversation.

What I can't do:

If you are going to have a conversation with Jill and ask me to leave the room, I can turn on my recorder, leave it somewhere on a desk, and leave.

It's illegal because you and Jill are having the conversation, but neither of you know the conversation is being recorded.

That falls under, "wiretapping."

--

I'm a photographer, and the rules are different, there.

The law reads that I can record (still photography or video) in public without prior consent. The rule is that if you don't want yourself or your property to be captured visually, you must keep it from public view.

There's an exception:

I can take a photo or video of a person coming out of a pharmacy and that's in a public place.

However, if I use "extraordinary" means to violate reasonable expectation of privacy, I've overstepped the boundary of law.

For example, I could use a powerful zoom and capture the receipt of the items she bought. That's an encroachment of what reasonable people would expect regarding privacy.

--

So, providing audio on the Arlo cameras could, in some situations, be illegal.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

For example, I could use a powerful zoom and capture the receipt of the items she bought. That's an encroachment of what reasonable people would expect regarding privacy.

Yes... remember that from case law re FBI photo school i went to... The siti was operating across from a drug dealer, using tele-lenes to shoot into the apt showing actual drug labels on sold products.  Court rule NG as is wasn't visable from ' street corner/sidewalk' or 'front stoop' without extraordinary means.

All pics thrown out except they had made 4x drug buys which were valid.

One of the few exceptions to the rule re audio ( one party record )  comes into play with minors... that's ok if your the parent/parental .

Of course, if not there with permission, all ok to record.

IMO, for me, audio doesn't matter.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
CaptainDork
Apprentice
Apprentice

Good points. I hadn't considered the parental/guardian aspect. Makes sense.

I don't have a need for audio om the Arlo cameras, either. They are all up high watching my residential property and couldn't "hear" well, anyway.

I do have six (6) web cams that have audio. Each web cam is attached, via USB tether, to surplus Windows XP computers (small form factors). I use apps called iCam (I don't work for them) installed on my iPhones and Android tablets.

They are all inside the house; some facing out windows. I don't have record set for those that show the inside of the house except when the bug guy is scheduled to come by or I'm having an appliance installed.

When accessing iCam via iPhone or Android, the video is immediately a live stream.

While iCam records motion, it does not record audio. However, the cams are equipped with microphones and I can listen to various locations in real time.

Thanks.

vinit_keshari
Initiate
Initiate

no audio thats why i bought nest cam

Jimminy
Tutor
Tutor

What does the law say about recording audio in your own home?  how can it be wiretaping if you're recording audio in your own home?  For security purposes audio can be very useful.  A burglar may say something during a burglary that will connect him with an aquaintance.  A babysiter may verbaly abuse a child.  Video does nothing to catch verbal abuse.  I don't have a right to monitor audio in my own home?

CaptainDork
Apprentice
Apprentice

Federal law is "one party consent," in that at least one of the parties must consent to the conversation being recorded.

While each state has tougher or same laws (some require consent of ALL parties), Texas, where I live, is "one party consent."

It is illegal to record video and audio in your home without consent of all persons present with the exception of monitoring those who cannot consent due to age (baby monitors) or other reasonable causes (indigent care monitors).

Texas case law has many examples of illegal recording where, by way of example, a husband records (video/audio or both) his wife without her knowledge and while he is not part of the conversation (he's away).

In the case of video recording, or photography, outside the home, people don't usually have a reasonable expectation of privacy.

For audio, however, state law still applies. Two people walking down the street or delivering a package, or doing contract or city utility work would not have a reasonable expectation that their conversations are being recorded.

In the case where criminal activity is recorded, a court can decide whether it is admissible in court for the purpose of introduction as evidence.

Laws vary by state, of course, but the statutes are listed on the Internet:

--

Texas law.

Terrax
Aspirant
Aspirant

I've just had a software update on my Arlo system and noticed that under the 'Mode' options is 'Armed/Disarmed - Motion and Sound Detation'.  

Does this mean that audio is now supported?  If not, what is this for?

PS.. Can we ever expect Z-Wave or ZigBee wireless to be supported on the exisiting systems?

Terrax

ShockwavePyro
Apprentice
Apprentice

It is only the ARLO Q camera that supports Audio, which has just been released.

xaero
Guide
Guide

Added audio feature, removed wireless feature. Now it's a cabled camera... This is getting worse and worse... 

ShockwavePyro
Apprentice
Apprentice

I think it's a great system myself. Yes, the Q Camera is wired, but you still have the wireless option, and therefore the best of both worlds. There are pro's and cons for all systems, but in my opinion this is the best out there for my needs and will be buying a Q cam just as soon as they're available in the UK.

🙂

xaero
Guide
Guide

For the silly price of 200++ dollars per camera, it is very much far from the best product on the market. For 399 dollars I get a professional kit of 2 cameras and control unit WITH 500GB storage from Swann. Which also is safe for out door mounting. 

ShockwavePyro
Apprentice
Apprentice

It all depends what you want from a CCTV system. I already have a wired CCTV system covering the outside of my house and it records to a local DVR. I always thought if the DVR got stolen by a burglar then I'd have no footage, but then you could say, put it in a lockable steel box.... yes, maybe but a thief will get in anywhere if they really want to. So I wanted something to cover the inside of my property in case my wired system was somehow bypassed, and I wanted wireless with cloud storage, but I didn't want to pay for cloud storage every month, so this is the best I could find, and it does everything I want it to now the ARLO Q is coming....  

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Agreed.. the combo of Arlo cams and the new Q cam make a really good system.

Besides, now the wife will be able to talk to the cat while we're away !  🙂  And yes, the crazy cat answers her

ShockwavePyro
Apprentice
Apprentice
Haha, my wife is also a crazy cat lady 😁
Steviemontana
Aspirant
Aspirant
What about cameras with audio on the outside of your house? Seems to me, on the outside, of your house is in the public domain. No right to privacy there.
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Steviemontana wrote:
What about cameras with audio on the outside of your house? Seems to me, on the outside, of your house is in the public domain. No right to privacy there.

The Q camera with audio in/out is meant to be inside only..... The Arlo water resistant outdoor camera does not have any audio capabilities.

good topic tho...

As to the legality of the audio outside... I fiq if your on my front porch, I'm not worried even if it may encroach on possible eavesdropping ( re conversion between two other people ..  BTW, each state has diff laws be it "one party" or "two re recordings OR the right to be in location  such as private property, behind certain doors, etc)

BTW, right to privacy can be visual or audio... so How big a fence you have makes a diff, so does no tresspassing signs

Titorosario
Initiate
Initiate

ARLO wireless Model VMS3130 Bought July 2, 2016

The Best Buy sales rep sucker punched me and told me this sytem records everything. I went on vacation and I could not detect any sound. When I got back the Best Buy No Return policy was 14 Days.

I am so disappointed with this ARLO system, the model doesn't even show on the drop down.

I have to replace the system with something else.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Titorosario,

While the Arlo Wire-free model does not have audio capability, the Arlo Q does. For more information on how the Arlo Q differs from Arlo Wire-free, see here: Arlo Wire-Free compared to Arlo Q

JamesC

mmilkin
Aspirant
Aspirant

The wire free model has no audio, i was duped by this as well going to be returned to the store tomorrow.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

mmilkin,

I am sorry to hear that Arlo Wire-free system did not fit your needs. The Arlo Q/Q Plus do have audio capabilities and may be what you are looking for.

Take a look here for more information: Introducing Arlo Q

JamesC

markholtmeulen
Aspirant
Aspirant

hi .in response to there being no audio. i was told that the wireless arlo could double as a baby moniter.

considering the price and there being audio filters on the software i assumed this would be correct.

mind you if it did have audio the battery life would be halfed again.only get 1 week then another $112 for batteries.

Cannot get money back since there is no "faults". Considering i can get same result from this unit as from a few old mobiles and a free app its a scam.

here i come gumtree. pays to research first. Netgear will now be advoided when buying any IT equippement . Up to 155 notifications in one day from over sensitive cameras.will be buying a swann system.

Discussion stats
  • 26 Replies
  • 19 Likes
  • 15 In Conversation