Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Broadband Speed Limit

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation
timharry
Follower
Follower

Hi 

I would love to purchase the Netgear Arlo camera system but I only get a 4mb download and 700k upload broadband.  We live in a rural area and that is the fastest available.  Arlo would be perfect for monitoring our house, keeping an eye on our horses in the stable and out in the paddock and help me find out what digs the lawn up at night.

If the only option is to store direct to the cloud would the system work for me?  

Are there any plans to enable saving to external hardrive storage?

Regards

Tim

6 REPLIES 6
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

At this time , the only option is to record via the cloud...

At 700k upload, you may have problems as Netgear recommends at least 1M.  Not that it won't work, but it may have degraded video due to the lack of bandwidth.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

timharry,

Welcome to the community! You can find more information on minimum requirements here. A 1Mbps upload is recommended. That isn't to say the system would not work but you may experience issues due to the bandwidth limitation. At this time I do not have any information regarding local storage. Please let me know if you have any additional questions!

Thanks,

JamesC

paulmiller
Guide
Guide

Is 1 MB upload speed for one camera or for multiple cameras?

What happens if the network is busy, does the system cache the video for later upload?

The reason local network storage is necessary is for folks who don't have the bandwidth. This should be considered for future updates if possible.

Do you really have to manually delete video files when you use the free 7 day storage?

Any advantages using the Netgear Nighthawk (R7000) wifi router with the Arlo system?

I have a USB drive attached to my R7000, should be able to use it for storage.

Can I put the camera on a window sill facing outside and still get the night video quality?

Thanks!!

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Re ALRO cams ( not the Q )

Is 1 MB upload speed for one camera or for multiple cameras?

Netgear has recommended 1mb upload as min for best results... this will work with multi cams as the compression is high enough from the base unit

What happens if the network is busy, does the system cache the video for later upload?

NO,

Do you really have to manually delete video files when you use the free 7 day storage?

No, on day #8, day #1 videos/snapshots are auto deleted...etc;  so you have only the past 7 days

Any advantages using the Netgear Nighthawk (R7000) wifi router with the Arlo system?

In some sw versions, it supported the cams , not sure how it is now as there were changes ( J ? )

I have a USB drive attached to my R7000, should be able to use it for storage.

No

Can I put the camera on a window sill facing outside and still get the night video quality?

NO...the IR illuminators light reflects off the glass washing out the video AND motion sense does not work thru glass tho you can view and manually record with enough normal light

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

TomMac wrote:

In some sw versions, it supported the cams , not sure how it is now as there were changes ( J ? )

The only real advantage is the lack of need to find space/connection/power for the base.  It simplifies the installation but that's it.  Right now the biggest disadvantage is the lack of production firmware for the R7000 to support Arlo.  The previous versions were pulled due to issues with the 2.4GHz drivers in the firmware that the Arlo support introduced (no idea why it would have caused an issue).  There is beta firmware that I've been using successfully but production release is unknown and has been dragging on for months.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Tks J ... Was unsure of the 7000 SW status

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation